TIPS???? How do you plan on staying away from all the good food over the holidays? I am so so excited to see family and have recently lost 15 pounds but I do not want to gain weight over Christmas and New Years with all the good food. TIPS for self control?

allmomma

Asked by allmomma at 6:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Don't deny yourself or you'll feel like you're missing out. Portion control. If you REALLY want that slice of pie, have 1/2 of it, or a 1/4 of it. It's the best of both worlds.
    Also, drink a lot of water - you'll feel fuller sooner.
    jas_momof2

Answer by jas_momof2 at 6:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• eat before you go to a family gathering or party. It has been my experience with trying to not eat junk that if I eat a little I can't stop there and then have to eat a lot so I avoid eating it entirely. The only time I allow myself to really eat what I want is during pregnancy because I can drop the weight afterwards pretty easily and it's not right to restrict calories from a fetus. In addition to eating before a party I suggest you load up on a lot of water. That alone will make you eat less. Try to celebrate with family with ways that don't involve food like playing board games, shopping and watching movies.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i agree you shouldn't deprive yourself of that yummy food! you've worked hard to lose that 15 pounds and you deserve a little splurge, just don't go overboard. eat very small portions of everything, and drink lots & lots of water.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Avoid the food at the beginning. The longer you wait to start the less you will eat. And maybe the good stuff will be all gone. Drink water before you get to the party. Carry bottles of water. Fill up on water. Do not position yourself in fron to the food table. Involve yourself with an activity or a conversation so that you cannot keep eating.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• put a dirty thought in your head. what usually works for me..."look at all those kids and their greasy liitle fingers picking over everything..GERMS" .. i don't want to touch it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• willpower.
    just do what you do the rest of the year
    think about how it will make you feel and look if you give in and all that hard work you'll have to do to fix it?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Simply tell yourself no. Its not any different now than it was when you were trying to lose that 15 lbs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'll eat a light meal before I go to a party, that way I'm not starving when I get there. I also position myself away from the food, if I'm in close proximity it's easy to "graze." If you envision every bite of food as another mile on the treadmill it may help too! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I saw The Doctors on T.V and they said to make sure you only single pile the food (one layer) also take a smaller plate to eat on and when it comes to dessert just one piece of pie or cake and make sure it's not a huge piece!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• eat everything just small portions and DONT get seconds. Its easy not to do it. You wont gain back 15 lbs from one night of eating!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 11:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2010