Hair Stylists - How do I get this hairstyle/cut?

Every time I walk into my salon with a picture (which isn't too often) and ask for a similar style, I walk out with pretty much the same style I walked in with. I have the hair, and am always told I can carry it off BUT my stylists never come through for me. What should I ask about this style/cut specifically??? Thanks.

http://www.rush.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/jasmine-redstone-2010/jasmine-redstone-2010-06.jpg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I looked at your hair pic. (I cut hair). So where are you going to get your hair cut at? Because that's a very simple haircut and shouldn't be difficult to achieve. It's just a shoulder length haircut with textured ends,has a bit of dye in the front and has highlights in it,the criss cross hair at the top anyone cn do and it has some layering in it. They should be able to do it for you. If not then try a different hair salon seriously!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree that it shouldn't be difficult to achieve! I'm not interested in the dye part but just the cut. I go to 2 different, somewhat upscale, salons and they just don't seem to "get it". I already have some layering in my hair though the layers are rather chunky, even when I flat iron (I have a lot of hair, and it's thick). Is it cut shorter in the back than in the front? Is that the only way to achieve some of the "roundness?"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The roundness is the way the hair is styled, so perhaps you should have your stylist actually style the hair, and show you how it is done? I agree, if they cannot do this cut then something is drastically wrong and you should seek another salon.
    carsonsmommy

Answer by carsonsmommy at 7:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If your hair is really thick then they can thin it out with thinning shears. The roundness that I think you are talking about is just some volume. You can get volume lots of ways- Volumizing products, teasing a bit at the roots, large velcro rollers that are put it the hair before styling, blow-drying and lifting hair up at the roots with a brush are all ways of getting volume. The person doing your hair probably didn't get the layers right. This i crucial to the cut. It's what holds the whole thing together. It can be shorter in the back but in that particular picture I don't believe so. Tell them before they start cutting your hair that you've been disapointed in the past and the reasons why.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• OK, can anyone recommend a salon/stylist in the Chicagoland area then? I don't have any faith thay my current stylists can do this because I have absolutely no problem styling my hair (I've been able to hide many a bad haircuts by styling alone) or problems w/volume (I get plenty naturally, without any product) - I just need a decent cut/style!!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'm with you whenever I go and get my hair cut (not often either) the style I pick out in those magazines never comes out the way it looks in the pic, no matter what the girl or guy says. I think that all stylists lie to make money LOL!!!
    V.M.Smith

Answer by V.M.Smith at 12:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2010