How did you deal with your kid going off to college?

gambilldl

Asked by gambilldl at 7:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• sad and freeing at the same time for us both
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The transition is so scary for both of us right now - he is leaving Jan 6th - BIG CHANGE as he is a momma's boy (and we both know it) UGH
    gambilldl

Comment by gambilldl (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Be as involved as you can by helping him move in (if he will be in a dorm), checking out the campus, etc. It will be exciting and sad all rolled into one. It can be very emotional but also some of the most interesting and fun years of your life. Visit the campus and call as much as you can/need to. Tuck a little note to him in his stuff that he'll find after you leave. After saying goodbye to my oldest I cried for most of the 6 hour drive home. My youngest kept asking my Dh if I was going to be OK! I wish you all the best. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Try not to feel too sad. I had to remember the good times in college and that he was preparing himself for the job market.

Answer by Bmat at 7:59 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I trusted God to keep them safe and my teachings to help them along.

Answer by older at 8:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'm going to be facing that next fall and I'm already feeling anxious about it!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Honestly, college was easy for me. My 19yo's college is 1 hour and 15 min. away and he plays football so we see him every weekend during football and now that football season is over he comes over every other weekend and we go to see him on Sundays of the weekend he doesn't come home. We also talk to our 19yo every night and sometimes 1-2 times during the day. For me, the hard part was Army basic training for my 24yo and my 20yo...no phone calls for 10 weeks, letters very infrequently & always short and a deployment to Iraq for my 24yo old. We didn't see him for 15 mos. & got 10 phone calls.. My 19yo started college while his 20yo brother was in basic training and I felt bad because I was one of the only moms not crying about him leaving us but I knew he was close & we'd see him in 3 days & I was missing his brother a lot. College probably wouldn't have been this easy to handle if it weren't for the other 2, though. (((HUGS)))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It was hard but thanks to cell phones spoke a lot.They would call walking to classes.Though the more involved ,making friends and happier they got the easier it got for me.I always miss them and loved having them home for breaks and summer.When my daughter chose to attend a college about 700 miles away it was very hard, I had been spoiled my oldest graduated from a college 2 hours away.Though hers was worse because her brother is an army capt and was deployed when she started her freshman year.I expanded my worry and stress to encompass her leaving also.She gets home tomorrow and I am so excited.Everyone will be home for Christmas this year.So happy here.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Wish I knew. Mine's graduating high school this yr. and going off to college in Cambellsville, ky from where we live it's like a 4 hour drive.
    I cry alot because its so scary afraid somethings going to happen. And think ok did I do enough to prepare her for the real world. Does she have enough book and streets smarts to make it.
    She's a great kid, works, pays for her own car, insurance really never into deep trouble, just being a teenager type thing talking on the phone way into the morning when she had to go to school stuff like that. She does however call when she gets to work and when she's leaving and stuff because she knows that I worry alot.
    I had actually talked to my therapist about this and she said that it's normal but she said that the reason why I'm having anxiety/panic attacks so bad are where I lost my son the constant thought of losing another child is so strong that it overpowering my rational thinking. GL!
    my4loves3

Answer by my4loves3 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Please let me know. When my son went, I thought my life was over and I still had 4 at home. I feel your pain momma!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010