Banking issue.. would I be in the right here?

Every month I always use online bill pay to pay my car note. I go in there and choose a day for the check to be sent and it tells me what day it will come out. This month it said if I sent my payment on the 10th, it would get to it's destination (loan company) on the 15th, which is how I always do it because that's payday. Well for some reason this month they took my payment out a day early, which caused me to go negative!! Then the paycheck went in really late last night to cover it, but we were also charged an over draft fee! I am waiting on the bank to open so I can call and complain because I do not feel I should have to pay this fee. This is how I do things EVERY single month and it has NEVER come out any earlier than the day my bill pay schedule says it will. Do you think I have a shot at getting this refunded? I know $25 doesn't seem like a lot of money but around the holidays.. ANYTHING is a lot of money!

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• The bank may waive the fee if it's the first time but you're actually wrong about this. If you set it up to go out on the 10th, then that's when the money has to be in your account, not on the day it actually comes out. If it's set up for the 10th, then they can take it out of your account any day from then on, doesn't matter how it's happened every month prior. I would go talk to the bank but in the future, don't set it up for any day before you have the money in the account.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Most banks will take away the overdraft if it is your first, talk to them and explain what went on.

Answer by older at 8:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• $25 is a lot of money. Certainly you should call and see if you can get it worked out. There are a couple ways you can approach it. I would probably try to be courteous and matter of fact in order to get cooperation. Some find it better to be aggressive, but I've found that I can usually get what I want if I don't get aggressive.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would definitely go in or call. If you don't have frequent overdrafts,they will probably take away the fee. Just be polite about it and they'll probably work with you.

And make sure you askthem how it works and why it got messed up so it doesn't happen again.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Call the bank and talk with them. If they pulled the money too early, it's their fault. In any case, they should work with you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would speak with them about what changed on their end have them explain to you why they did this bill a day earlier than you requested.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks ladies.. I havent had to deal with over draft issues in over a year and i've worked very hard to keep it that way. I don't plan on getting irate even though I sound all big and bad right now lol Just frustrated because this is the last check I have to get Christmas finished up and $25 goes such a long way
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would contact the company that does the online bill pay for your car and complain to them. It's their fault it came out a day early and it's their fault you have a fee.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks for all of your responses. I did get ahold of them and they refunded the money for me. And yes, they did explain that just because it says it will come out a certain day doesn't mean it can't come out anytime before hand. Lesson learned and they were nice enough to help me out =)
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010