Would you have the baby of a 66 year old?

I'm 31 with a little dd of 5. Her dad passed away 2 years ago. Now I've met this guy, we work together. From the first moment we just connected. It's amazing, we're so productive and creative together until deep into the night! And we talk a lot. He isn't married and has no children. I told him, that I find that such a shame. It IS! He is kind, charming, intelligent, witty, caring and quiet a handsome man, if you ask me. One thing led to another and we kissed and talked and kissed and joked around. It was so much fun! And I swear, it was like he could read my mind, when he asked: "Would YOU have my baby?" I'm not sure how much joking and how much seriousness was in that, but I replied, that if he'd marry me and put me in his last will, we'll be alright. lol We didn't talk about it anymore, but it keeps going round and round in my head. My gut feeling (or my ovaries) say YES, DO IT! I don't know if I love him, but I'm very fond of him and very ... IDK ... there's lots of affection, respect and admiration on both sides. My first husband used to say that, if you get the chance to be happy, you have to grab it with both hands! So... he might have another 10, 15, maybe even 20 years. Maybe he'll drop dead tomorrow, who can tell. I'd love to have another child. What holds me back right now is my dd. How would it affect her? They get along wonderfully and I'm scared to death what will happen if she loses "another dad". But really the only time is now, isn't it? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• If he was 35 there would be no guarantee of tomorrow!!! He could live another 30 yrs?? My gpa just turned 91 and still lives on his own and does what every one else does.....just a little slower :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 2:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would go for it, if you love the man and want to spend the rest of your life with him, love knows no age.

Answer by older at 8:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The most important issue is the child. If the child is being brought into the world as a whim, then it isn't right. If the child will have a loving family who can provide nurturing, education, health care... then OK. But the decision has to be made based on the needs and interests of the child.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Umm. I don't know if I would be involved with someone who's 30-something years older than me... I mean, when you were born, he was your age. You could be he daughter. Yuck!

But, follow your heart. It'll lead you in the right path.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, I do not think it is fair to the child to have a parent that old.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Are you prepared to raise the child alone? He sounds like a great guy, and he may be around for another twenty or even forty years - but he may not. Really, we all have to consider this possibility. Life comes with no guarantee other than death. It will happen to all of us, the $100,000 question is when. I say give it some time. I wouldn't just jump into having a child with someone that quickly, but he does sound great. If he really is, and you do grow to love him, then yes. Many children are raised by single moms, so if that happens, it's not going to be the end of the world. And, there's always the possibility that your child will have two loving and awesome parents that live well into old age. Good luck in what ever decision you make. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree with dancinintherain. I think it is unfair to children. They feel too bad or too tired to take up time with the kids. And also like scout mom mentioned, you need to be prepared to raise the child on your own. Me personally I wouldn't do it
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:05 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• ...sure if he had money. suga daddy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Oh, I think I'm am prepared. My husband was off to work A LOT (worked hard to take good care of us) so I'm used to not having the father around. It's really about quality time. He's 66. He might still work, but actually doesn't have to. Well, that's something I have to discuss with him, but I'm confident, that if ... that child would be LOVED. And I disagree that this has anything to do with " fair or unfair" because due to him the child will BE there. What a gift! But you're right, I'll take my time. And we'll talk about it. Definitely interesting option. One that makes me smile. lol

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• no gross!
    menmy6

Answer by menmy6 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010