Conditions for salvation

It's always thrown out there that "anyone" can be saved if they just believe. What about people whose souls are already dead? The ones who are so smug and self-assured of their own salvation they've gone beyond believing into compliance. The ones who run around calling people "godless heathens" (an oxymoron, btw) or "pre-saved", so arrogant they just assume everyone is in a state beyond saving or just not saved yet, with absolutely no humility or grace. When the time comes for those people to be judged, won't their lack of humility and grace and their extreme hubris and arrogance be evidence that no matter how much they profess to believe, the truth is their hearts are already dead and they are beyond belief? Won't those actually be the first in line to not be saved, by their own self-absorbed notion that they had the authority to decide who was and wasn't saved in the first place? If the meek shall inherit the earth, and on the meek scale, they weigh in somewhere around Tyrannosaurus, where are they really going to go, if the faith they love to pay lip service to has any actual merit?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• missanc & soyousay, where did you get the idea that, even though saved, Chrsitains are judged on their lives?

Because God knows what is in your heart- its easy to say "I am saved, I accept Christ" but God is not looking for mere words-he is looking for actions. To deny Christ does not mean just in word, it also means in deed. I also believe you do not have to utter the words from your mouth "I accept Christ" - your actions speak for themselves. I do not believe God is pleased with those that deceive themselves and others by saying one thing and acting another way. I believe your Faith is your shield, not your weapon. It is not to be used against another. I believe those that wield their beliefs like a sword will be surprised at what awaits them. You have to walk the walk to be rewarded. IMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My opinion - if you have been saved and have asked Jesus to come into your heart and be Lord of your life, you will go to Heaven. However, all Christians will be judged based on their life. We are all sinners, even after accepting Christ, but should be trying to resemble Jesus as closely as possible. I can't control what other people do, all I can control is myself, and with God's help I try to avoid temptation.

Answer by missanc at 8:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Honestly, NP, I can't say, it's not for me to decide. I can not judge the kind of people you describe, it's not my place. All I know is that we all have enough to worry about with our own salvation (at least I do with mine) and while we can (and should) lovingly share our faith with others, I don't think name-calling and fear are the way to share God's love. If someone were yelling at me for the wrong they saw in my life, I would not see them as a very loving person.  The commandment we were given by Jesus was to love each other, that's my goal.  God is big enough to take care of the rest.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If you are talking about the picketing group, then yeah I see your point. If someone believes in salvation, then great for them. Arrogance and hypocrisy is a world wide attitude, not just select to one "group."
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 9:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I usually feel sorry for these types. They seem so much like frightened angry children, stamping their feet and shouting that they're right and they'll get their lolly no matter what.

But since I don't believe in God, heaven, or hell, I figure that what's going to happen to them after they die is the same thing that's going to happen to me after I die. Nothing. The difference is that they live their lives filled with hate and misery, while I live mine to the best of my ability knowing it's the only one I've got. There is no paradise waiting for me, so wasting THIS life is foolishness.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't believe there are any conditions for salvation, or that there is anything to be "saved" from, really. So both the "godless heathen" and the piously pretentious are "safe", though I do agree with you that people who's hearts are hardened with their self righteous arrogance are in for a surprise when they realize they were wrong all along and that their behavior was not what God wants of us. They will be made aware of their errs, and while I believe God's love and grace to be completely unconditional, I do believe that this kind of behavior - the kind that forgets we are called to love, that acts out of judgment and self love rather than compassion and love for others - is one of the biggest "no-no's". But I don't believe God works through punishment, rather that He works through understanding, and will help those who are guilty of this to understand that they were misguided in their less than loving actions... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I believe they know they are full of hate- I believe they are fooling themselves and trying to fool others by saying they are doing Gods work- I believe they will not be rewarded. You can not hide behind God- you can not commit acts in his name that you know are against what he stands for- to do so is to deny God and that is the greatest sin. God is love, understanding, compassion and grace-they show none of this... if you read the Bible, even the harshest stories encompass the above qualities.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• When the time comes for those people to be judged, won't their lack of humility and grace and their extreme hubris and arrogance be evidence that no matter how much they profess to believe, the truth is their hearts are already dead and they are beyond belief?

YES! I agree, there are some to profess to believe but do not walk the walk and I think they will be surprised about what awaits them.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Okay, this cracked me up. I'm wondering if some telly-evangelist got to you or something. I think you make several great points.
    Do souls die yet the body live? Does salvation actually reflect in the conditions and attitudes of a person? I find it fascinating how the human mind can convince oneself to belief something that deep down it does not. I'm wondering if it's this aspect of self-deception that you're touching on.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'm always fascinated by this debate because my understanding is that Christ's sacrifice "saved" all of us. Believing or unbelieving, we have eternal life. Salvation is for everyone. Exaltation, on the other hand, is something we have to earn.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2010