Does anyone out there have a "Drama Queen"?

I am going crazy my daughter is 5 years old and she is such a drama queen.
There is times when she could be so good it is hard to believe she acts the way she does, She cries and cries (which I try to let her cry and ignore her) but it does not always work. She gets to me and I have to either spank her or ignore her.

I pray it is only a phase but for the mean time what can I do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yeah!! I am not the only one! I thought I was doing something wrong. My daughter is 8 and just breaks down over everything! She scratched her foot yesterday and from her howl you would have thought she cut her foot off! It is so refreshing to know that I am not the only one going through this. I really hope this is just a phase but since she has been like this since she was about 4, I think that it is just part of her personality. I try to help her when she gets like this by telling her to go to her room because I don't want to hear it and it usually ends sooner. Good luck!
    Corisam

Answer by Corisam at 6:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my DD is 8 and is definitely a drama queen. i just used to tell her(and still do) if you are gonna cry over nothing, do it in your room with the door closed cause I'm not having it. now years later, when she gets like that, she says "FINE, I'm going to my room"  like she is punishing me. ha, life with girls. never ending DRAMA!

sammygrrlplus1

Answer by sammygrrlplus1 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Well, I have a drama KING. He is five and just the sweetest nicest little boy then all the sudden out of nowhere bam dramatic meltdown. I do the same as sammygrrlplus1. If he starts I tell him either quit or go to your room. We have also started doing something I read in some magazine. When he says can i this or that and i say no and he goes into full on freakout I'll say "groundhog" and that's his chance for a do over. If I catch him before he's gotten too wound up it almost always works.
    fentrio

Answer by fentrio at 9:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• oh do i ever. she will go into a tizzy over any little thing. i find she does it more when she is with just me than wehn daddy is home. i think it gets worse tho bc she wasnt this bad when she was 5 . and now shes 7. good luck :)
    septembermom

Answer by septembermom at 11:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Oh yes so i see i am not alone,my daughter is 4 and oh my goodness sometimes she is super sweet and helpful and other times i am like ready to pull my hair out.She is VERY DRAMATIC.I am thinking and hoping it is just a stage my son is 5 and never did or does act like that it must be a girl thing.Hang in there!!
    mrsmalark

Answer by mrsmalark at 10:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter is and was going thru this....I use a chart and for each whine, or drama moment, she gets an X in the box....after 3 on the 4th one, she looses a privlage, tv for the night or has to go to bed 15 minutes early or NO DS for the night...it did not take long and it stopped. SO I quit the chart, but I break it out whenever SHE needs it! LOTS of DRAMA in girls now a days I THINK!
    Maddiesmommy123

Answer by Maddiesmommy123 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have a 9 year old who is like that, I am at my wits end with her. I have been thinking that it is because she doesn't have her father in her life because it usually happens when she starts thinking about him. But now I am thinking it is just her from everything everbody else has said she is just like that. She has been since she was 5 but it got alot worse. Anymore advice anyone has on here would be great.
    purplemouse

Answer by purplemouse at 1:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2008