19 month old screams down the house at bedtime for hours!! Help!

First thing you should know- he does not have an ear infection, wet diaper, hungry or thirsty. He is simply being a pill. The second you go in to him he calms down. When you tell him its time to go to bed he starts to freakout and wants to be picked up. We do not pick him up. I put him to bed after I have held him and he is asleep. Takes him abou 5-10 minutes to go down and he will be passed out asleep. The second you try to lay him down, he wakes up and starts screaming and crying. Loudly. Ear piercingly loud. He has been doing this for a little over a week now. My husband has some luck sometimes at getting him to go to sleep by using a firm tone with him. We have sat in the floor with him in the crib and tried to creep out. The second you get out his door he wakes up. Last night it was a 3 hour screamfest. I finally picked him up at 11:45 and sat with him until he fell asleep at 12:00. If you are dealing with this or know how to help, please let me know. I hate to let him cry, but we have tried everything else. He was a good sleeper for about 2 months before all this started. If you plan on being negative, please dont answer back- i have enough on my plate right now. I am just looking for something else to try. Thanks

mamaof2becka

Asked by mamaof2becka at 9:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you will want to be careful, my granddaughter was screaming for 30 mins. and i had the police called on us.
    catsmom393

Answer by catsmom393 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Must be a phase...my son went through this. He was a little younger when he went through that phase but they will grow out of it. Just stay stern..it is VERY hard especially when you are tired too. I was alone for during this and wish someone would have been able to tell me it'll be ok.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Ear infections can be pretty tough on an infant/toddler. Especially when they aren't verbal enough to let you know what's wrong. Just have patience. Make a dr. appointment for him ASAP. They will give you some meds. Do it soon.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• how did he used to fall asleep? has something changed? could he be getting a tooth? have you tried orajel? could he be getting sick? I would first try to cross everything off the list before trying CIO. You could put him in the crib and sit with your back to him and sit there till he falls asleep and then sneak out.. you will have to wait for a while and be consistent and this should break him of the habit over time.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• After raising five kids we gained custody of our grand daughter at three months, No one slept for a long time, it seemed that nothing short of picking her up and comforting her would stop her screaming. Against EVERYTHING we had learned with the other five we finally moved her baby bed into our room, and from that day foward we got to sleep. Sometimes a person has to do what they need to just to get rest. good luck to you
    mimi66

Answer by mimi66 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would do CIO in a heartbeat. Also allowing him to fall asleep in your arms, is getting him used to that. If he wakes up, he can't put himself back to sleep. After a couple nights of CIO, it will be much better, I promise.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Hello. Get him into a bedtime routine of brushing his teeth, taking his bath, putting on his jammies, and reading him a story. He only gets to hear the story while staying in bed. If he's still awake, sing lullabies to him. When he falls asleep and you crawl out, don't open or shut the door. Have it already open and leave it open when you go out. Make no noise. Also, try melatonin. It's a safe, natural brain chemical for sleep. 1 mg would be fine for him.
    A great story for bedtime is A Pretty Girl Was Alpha Bette. Boys love it, too. Gives him parent-time and reading-readiness.

http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 4:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If you want to get him to fall asleep and possibly stay asleep what I found that worked when my children were small was a clock radio preprogrammed with children's songs that they could listen to in their room and soft music always seem to do the trick.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• This is a phase!!! DO NOT CIO. All that teaches is that they cannot trust the parents to react to thier needs. Try putting a portable crib/playpen beside your bed it works wonders for my sone when he cannot sleep. and now that he is used to that we moved the playpen to his room and he sleeps ALOT better in there. Some nights are still hard but it does get better. And using a playpen means if it is a super rough night you can move the playpen back to your room if he needs it also try teething tablets or oragel as this is a time when they get molars too. And those can just ruin a good sleeping habit. Also check for a rash even a mild one can hurt enough to keep some children awake.
    ladysummeraire

Answer by ladysummeraire at 12:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2010