How can you help someone...

in a deep depression, who's lonely and has no friends, but won't do what it takes to get help (therapy) or open themselves to new ideas. He's an older relative and just would rather wallow around the house and be in the dumps. I really don't like visiting too much cuz honestly its depressing. Very little positive comes there when we visit and I always feel bad leaving cuz its instant "I'm alone" again.

I have a feeling he's going to die of depression (if thats possible)

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• There is really not much you can do if they don't want to help themselves, other than be there for them as much as possible.

Answer by older at 9:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• if hes elderly seek advice from a counselor
    menmy6

Answer by menmy6 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If they're not willing to get some help, I'm not sure what you can do. There is a department for services to older people, perhaps you could call them and ask for some advice.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Can you take him out for a little instead of just sitting and visiting. An ice cream, a walk around the park, something that might perk him up a little? Towards the end of her life my grandmother was very depressed. She was always a bit dark, but it hit a new low. She was old, all of her friends and her husband were dead, etc… She always perked up when I took her on a car ride. It just got her out of her 4 walls and showed that I cared. So, your visits, while leaving you drained, because you obviously care, probably do a lot for him.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• There's not much you can do. When you do visit, don't tell him what he needs to do. Tell him how you feel as it relates to you. Try to mirror what he says. Like if he complains about something, like being alone, just say I understand you're upset about being alone. But you can tell him the reason you don't visit often is because he makes you feel depressed.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• He's 60
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010