Should I call CPS?

Long story short. I have a gf who has made some pretty bad choices lately and lost her house, car and custody of her kids to her mom in the process. She meets a guy, he puts her through hell, she goes to jail because she let him get into her head to the point that she was going to take the blame for a gun charge. She gets out of jail and moves in w/his mom (again, listening to him and who she knew has a crack and heroin problem) and starts using herself. She says she's off it but I'm not sure I believe her bc until she finds her own place, she's staying w/ his mom along w/ other "friends" she's made that she doesn't know @ all and IMO, are a bad influence. My ?, should I contact her mom and CPS or stay out of it and hope for the best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have been through a similar situation with my daughter. Yes, contact mom. She needs to know. It's for the well being of the children. If your friend has not been to rehab for narcotics she is most likely still on her drug of choice. she has to want want help before anyone can help her. If she decides to get help please be her rock. she will need all the support she can get. Most likely she will back slide, and most do. You will have to start over but she'll know your they're for her. But she will only stop on her time not any one els's as sad as it is. Not even her children.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 2:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• If you truly believe something is putting the child/children in jeopardy, then by all means, contact CPS.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• only call them if she's neglecting her children , like hitting or not feeding them or spending there money if she gets welfare on drugs
    Anonymous

• Did she regain custody of her children? If she lost custody I'm assuming that she doesn't have them, so what's the point in calling? However, if her children are being exposed to this type of lifestyle then absolutely pick up the phone and help protect them!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 7:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Her mom has her kids right now until they go back to court. But my concern is that when she gets them back, she will not have removed herself from the environment she is in now or gotten the help she needs and her kids will be brought into it with no one knowing before hand.

Anonymous

• In that case, I would make sure her mother knows the situation. That way when they return to court, she'll be prepared....
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 7:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Should I wait until she gets them back and see if she starts abusing or neglecting them or should I let someone know now? I would feel even worse if I waited and they ended up being in an unsafe environment and I knew and didn't do anything.

Anonymous

• I would talk to her mother so she can bring any information into court so the kids don't have to spend anytime in that environment.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely let her her mom know whats going on, that way when she goes back to court she will be prepared, and if there is a case worker for the kids I would let them know.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• The only problem though is that I don't know for sure whether or not she's still using. She says she's not, but I haven't seen her in a few months. I think she might be but I don't have any proof either way. And something else I don't understand, she says, "I CAN"T BE AROUND IT"?, are those the words of a user? And please don't bash me for asking more questions as this may be an easy question to answer, but it's not an easy place to be in to have to ask it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2008