Who at Christmas only gets together with family

And does not do gifts?Just a nice dinner,play games,etc...I am disabled,dh hours were cut back these past few months so we barely. Made ends meet.I have never celebrated Christmas without buying gifts.and have 2 married dds and 2 teen sons at home.We have tried to tell them we can shop after the holidays but my 15 year old is soo upset and I am getting too depressed about it.So I am trying to come up with fun things to do Christmas day instead of the traditional gift opening.Anyone ever buy gifts after Christmas?My dh used to even get bonuses but was just told not this year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• I'm sorry that he didn't get the bonus he was expecting. That has happened to a few people I know this year.

Can you wrap pictures of the things you will get after Christmas? My mom did that with us one year, it was kind of fun.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We only buy for the kids which is just my 2 kids. We have my parents,grandma and sister(w/her boyfriend) over for dinner and we play games,
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 9:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I grew up under the poverty line, so there were lots of Christmases with no purchased gifts or lots of food. We just played games and sang carols. One year we had frozen pizza, which we thought was a real treat. Since I grew up and got married my husband and I had some skint years in the beginning. That started us on a tradition (even though we can afford gifts now) of just writing a letter to one another. We write the letter by hand, and we keep all the letters in a pretty wooden box that my grandfather made. Then every Christmas Eve we just dance together for however long the mood strikes us. It's very nice. And I wouldn't trade those letters or those sweet dances with my husband for all the presents from all the department stores in all the world.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Im sorry things worked out the way they did. You know every thing happens for a reason. God knows the path and plans set in store for you. This christmas may be a great bonding time for you. I pray it is. I know your 15 year old will be somewhat disapointed, but things will work out for him as well.We are not able to buy hardly anything this year. My two year old has like 3 things thats it none of them are toys. You could start off the day by attending a church service as a family. Then come home and make dinner while watching a christmas movie. And maybe after the movie to ge tyour blood flowing have a snow ball fight.. Make a family Crest. Make a youtube video. Make hot chocolates and smores..at night time you all can go drive around and look at all the cool christmas lights my family did that the otherday. you whole family could volunteer at a shelter.
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have holidays closet so I buy at random all year long, that way I don't get money slammed at the end of the year.
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 10:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010