How to deal with frozen water pipes

While we wait to move into our new home, we are renting a mobile home in the area. It was pretty cold here last night and the pipes here froze last night and right now I am waterless!!! I have friends and such that I can go to for showers and such, but wanted to know if there is anything I can do about frozen water pipes!? I'm from Florida originally....never dealt with this kinda thing.

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You'll need to go rent some portable heaters and set them up under there
    Make sure you get those pipes wrapped in insulation

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Ohh!!! My pipes actually burst last night (live in Alabama) because dh husband wouldn't listen to me. Only advise is when it get cold like that make sure you drip your faucets or you will have a mess like me.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 9:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i'm sorry if this is a dumb question but would portable heaters be safe under a mobile home?
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Its just to thaw them,not permanently

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My parents used to use a hair dryer propped up under the sink to thaw the pipes. If it is the pipes under the trailer, they should be wrapped in heat tape and you should talk to the landlord about fixing them. If it is the pipes under a sink, then wrap the pipes with isulation (foam pipe-shaped wrap w/a split on one side to slip it on the pipes) that you can get at most hardware stores. You can also leave the cabinet door open at night to allow heat from the house into the pipe space, which can help to keep the pipes from getting to the freezing point.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2010