How would you have handled this? (ages ds 9 and dd 7)

My kids have been talking about a book fair at school and every this goes on I tell them not this time well this morning we finally went they were so excited I mean there was so much to choose from some of the items there were ridiculous but that is what kids like. Well as we were browsing my ds decides he wants some dumb glow in the dark thing I am like no it is too much (14.99) he starts to say I have always wanted this please mommy being short on time stupid me gives in now my dd all of a sudden doesn't want anything else bc what she wanted it had sold out she started to get upset and like I said being short on time (they needed to be in there classes) I ask her does she want what her brother got she says yeah I guess (somehow she always ends up with his stuff so I figured get her her own) anyway we check out boom! (27.00) omg I was only going for 10.00 - 15.00 dollars worth as I left I had this sick feeling my dh is going to be pissed I was so close on returning them but my kids were happy (I hoped) I just left and came home. Still wondering what I am going to tell my dh bc I look at it like this with that amount of money we could have gone to walmart and probably got more...ugh! it sucks being cornered personally I'd like to just let it go but my dh is the bread winner...ugh! Not sure what to do not sure if they would take those items back :/ Don't even want to bother.
thanks ladies just venting....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would have done what you did. It's a really tough position to be in. I hate how the book fairs are always around Christmas. Who has extra money to throw around now?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My kids go in with a $ limit. They know they cant' go over that, even the 5 year old.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think sometimes you have to splurge, even spend money you don't have...sometimes. Your kids will value those toys and it is a social acceptance too because other children will be buying them too. It will be okay, it is just one moment in time, it is just $10 more. You can't return them, the kids would be crushed. Just make the most of it, and don't make them feel guilty or bad, even though you are feeling those emotions. Celebrate having something novel and have fun with them. IT is done, so make the most of it now.

Now, for DH, if you have to answer to him, fine. Tell him that it was a weak moment and you gave in because they really wanted to have these. Next, sit down and find a place where you can make up the $10. Groceries, gas. Find something worth $10 that you can sacrifice this week and that will be the trade. DH should appreciate that you are putting thought into this.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Quit overspending, children need to learn boundaries. I think you are setting a bad example for the future and rasing children to be ungrateful and demanding.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010