How was your simple (inexpensive) wedding made special?

My mother is getting remarried to a really sweet guy. She's been divorced for 24 years from my father who was never a good husband. I think she should do some things to set the tone for a very special day, but she feels that just getting married is special. She isn't even going to get a special dress/gown! What are some small things you did to make your wedding day special?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 10:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nothing could make it more special than your love, support and blessings. A nice home wedding with some decorations, flowers and just seeing your all so happy for her has to make it special. I'm so happy your mom found someone and I'm betting she's going to think it's special no matter what. Congrats to your mom and best wishes.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my wedding day was very much less than extravagant. infact, we didn't invite anybody at all. it was just the two of us and our two children (number three was conceived a week later LOL). we lived in a tiny military town and i went into the little downtown and bought myself a cheap but classy white dress. i dressed our two girls in white dresses. we picked a spot by a lake and his chaplain married us, another chaplain video taped it for us. no music, no reception (though we plan to have one for our 2 year anniv) no honeymoon (still working on saving for that!). it was very intimate though. i wouldnt change any part of it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I actually went to work the morning of my wedding lol. I ddin't wear a special dress (wore slacks). What made my day special was holding my hubby hands as we said our vows.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 10:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I got a wedding picture at the place we met!! That will always be a special place to us!! Also maybe make a toast to her giving her your blessing and support!!! That would mean the world to her!! Even if she already knows!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 10:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• oh, and he wore his class a's. YUM! ;)
    tnm786

• brideI guess the most special thing about my wedding was the fact that I wore my mom's wedding dress. (the one she wore when she married my dad).

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• had father read prayer before dinner
    had MIL do the cake, the music
    had mom do the little plate setting gifts, and silk flowers
    only had one bridesmaid, she wore what she wanted - no ugly matching dresses
    got my dress off ebay (80 bucks)
    had 125 people, great dinner, and music - no band recorded music and turned to kareokee after drinks
    whole thing 2 grand
    rented hall was free- did it off season at golf resort
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We got married in Vegas. But when we came home to Texas, we had a gathering in my father's backyard. We hung white Christmas lights, my aunts and uncles pitched in with making food. Everyone came to celebrate with us........ I Have no regrets about how simple everything was. It was really great.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 10:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My mother made my boquets, so maybe you could make a boquet for your mom? We also made all of the table decorations for the reception & gave those to guests who wanted them. We also lit a unity candle during our ceremony, which was wrapped in the ribbons that were also used to wrap my boquets to make it custom & special.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I did get a wedding gown, even though it was my second marirage and I was - ahem - 4 months pregnant. We had a small wedding, just family and close friends, and involved my two kids with a family sand ceremony. We also gave them engraved gifts after the vows.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 10:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2010