Teens and the "I Love You" remark!

I like many of you, have a Facebook account... it absolutely floors me to see so many (mostly girls) my family included... posts from these 13ish + girls posting (constantly) "I Love _________" ! Or "___________, I love you" before or at the end of everything they post.

Now, I am not a prude and do remember being young and writing up notebooks, but do you agree or disagree that the parents should show some discretion in this constant stuff - like having them post how well they are doing academically or in life etc! UGH (((Love))) wait until they really find out about it! frustrated

gambilldl

Asked by gambilldl at 10:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Another thing I thought of... In this day and age it is a good thing to let each other know they are loved. There is a lot of hurting people in this world and if we could just see the beauty in people instead of the crud and allow love for that person to flow... it might be a better place to live. Too often there are hateful words being spoken now a days, too much anger and bitterness that we need that love to come forth instead. So please be thankful they teens are expressing this.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• tsk tskI completely disagree. With all the cyber bullying we keep hearing about it gladdens my heart when teens tell each other how loved they are, or how cool they are, or how beautiful.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I do tend to roll my eyes when I see these things from my younger family members or their friends. But.. I remember being that age and thinking that I loved someone too! It's just a part of life =) Live and learn
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I remember being that age so I have no problem with it. Especially since I married my middle school sweetheart. = )

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yeah, I do the eye roll too. My daughter even has "I love ______ forever" at the end of every text message she sends out. Drives me nuts but I don't say anything. I remember writing boys names all over my notebooks. It's the same thing only now they have electronics & Facebook.
    AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 10:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We took our sons facebook away. He's 14 and really doesn't get it. It's totally taken for granted by kids and they feel a sense of entitlement that they should have access to it at any time. The girls on our sons page are rude, gross, and just plain ignorant. It's like they are stuck on themselves, with pictures, etc... Between FB, and cell phones I think kids are given too much freedom, and not enough guidance.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• LOL, to funny. I have noticed it a lot more because I have a 13 and 11 year old both boys, although they are always getting message from friends saying Love you or something like that.

I think they are just young and don't really know about this yet. Not to mention there are a lot worse things they could be saying ro doing instead of just saying Love you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The fact that they are expressive is something you do not want to repress. However they do need to learn and they will as they get older... it is a process of growing up when too much is too much. It will take its course. It annoys parents because they see it from a different perspective now that they are older and parents ... whereas the teen has not gotten there yet. Give it time.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It's kids being kids. The teen years are the years they learn about relationships, how to treat others, how they want to be treated, they learn to deal with heart ache, they learn how to deal with drama & bullying & they learn how to deal with disappointment. They learn how to act around their peers & how to behave socially. They learn these things with us, their parents, guiding them through them. If we don't allow them some (not a ton, just a little) freedom then they don't learn anything to help them through the adult years when these things can be more devastating & overwhelming to the untrained person.Don't expect a teen to act like an adult and to post about their accomplishments...expect them to posst about their social lives and what's happening around them and if you need to, guide them through it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I always say "I love you" to my kids and love to hear them express themselves. I was in a marriage where my kids father had some serious communication issues, and I vowed to teach my children that its ok to be verbal. I would rather them say what they feel than not say something and be sorry later. Besides, there are all kinds of love and if they can begin to learn the differences, then its all good with me.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010