How would you Handle this?

My sister and law had a fit because my husband and I asked her to wash her hands before holding our baby. She went off to say " I watch children all the time! I shouldn't have to wash my hands".. and proceeded to pout and be stubborn about washing her hands... What is going on here? How do I handle this situation. ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• my goodness, she needs a clue
    it is flu and cold season
    even a child will wash hands before holding a baby when asked, or wash hands before preparing meal

just smile and say, we wash hands before meals, after going to bathroom and wash hands alot before and after holding baby,
    or
    she can wave to baby from across the room

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Nicely explain to her that you would feel more comfortable about anyone holding the baby to wash their hands first. It's cold & flu season, it's easy to pass on illness even if you aren't showing signs yourself. (As a childcare giver, she should know that! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• How old is the baby? I would just tell her its nothing personal, you ask everyone who holds the baby to wash their hands. If she has a problem with that then that is just what it is, her problem. I wouldnt stress it :) You're just looking out for the safety of your child, no harm done.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 10:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Sister and law? What is that?...sounds a little frightening...lol

You just tell her that certain viruses and colds can live up to 8 hours outside the body so you would appreciate it if she would simply wash her hands. Or direct her to a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Remind her if she is a baby caretaker, then she of all people should be aware that newborn babies are much more susceptible to colds and viruses.

Last, if she refuses to wash her hands, you don't want her handling the baby, but if she washes her hands, she can hold the baby as much as she would like.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• IN law it was a typo and my baby is 4 months old
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Let her pout. I have never understood the fit that grown people have about washing their hands. I saw one of my uncles do it one year at Christmas which led to a yelling match. They don't believe in washing hands before holding babies on DH's side either. It's such a ridiculous thing to get offended about. I've actually had people tell me that kids get sick, it just happens. I said you're not the one who has to be sick or take care of a sick baby so wash up or you don't hold the baby. Hand washing, especially in cold and flu season is just common sense.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• exactly.!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Since there are so many nasty things going around right now, it is a good idea that everyone wash their hands before touching baby - especially since baby is still so young. If she is a mom and a child caregiver, then she should understand where you are coming from (about not wanting to have baby get sick) and one would think she would be on board with hand washing. I say stand firm and if she does not like it... too bad!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• she sounds like a brat! How OLD is she anyways? if this is a GROWNUP and acting this way, how does she behave around children? hygiene 101 around babies is to wash hands...she should know that if shes around kids all the time!
    menmy6

Answer by menmy6 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• She is 23.. Also pouts
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010