Language on social networks

I constantly see HORRIBLE language from adults on social networks, but it appears adults are not the only ones -- the KIDS are also throwing around 4-letter words like it is appropriate to do so.

I get on to my adult children for ANY nonsense language they use as the refelection on themselves is awful and I let them know that; I tell them they are educated enough to chose words BETTER than those to make points they are trying to reach!

But to see how many young people are allowed to not even abbreviate it, but post the actually nonsense floors me (and to see the adults that just answer them without guiding them is jaw-dropping as well)

What is your take on this subject?

gambilldl

Asked by gambilldl at 10:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree, I see that too and it is very classless. Children are using bad language earlier and earlier. We really police that at my house, but we also restrict tv and movies to their age group. I do think the exposure children have to what is on the screens these days makes an impact on them.

We tell our own children that people who use swear words just don't have a good vocabulary or the ability to express themselves intelligently. We are very careful ourselves, to set the good example.

I am fortunate to live in a community that overall frowns upon children, and even adults using swear words, it is considered very tacky and a mark of bad manners/bad upbringing and these children don't get invites to play because it just isn't tolerated around here....thankfully!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree the languish has gotten to be very bad on TV, but it is everywhere, It's the sexual connotations I get sick of. It's like no product can be sold unless there is a sexual content to it. It really gets old after awhile.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree, of line or online, I don't speak that way, it is trashy! BTW the color font you chose is really hard on the eyes lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• language.......corrected my typo.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I absolutely agree. I was raised to believe that only trashy people used that kind of language. I kind of passed that down to my children as well. However, reading Facebook posts simply scared me. My daughter showed me one the other day from a person we used to know, instead of it reading like it came from a 40 year old, it sounded more like she was a teen.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Zoeyis - I was much more referring to kids on such networks as FB - not so much as the women on CM. I am more concerned with the language teens are being allowed and even at times encouraged to use.
    gambilldl

Comment by gambilldl (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't speak any differently online than I do off... And I've never been one to shy away from "bad words" as I generally don't buy in to the idea. Anyone who knows me knows you get what you get here, I'm not about to change how I think, feel or speak just to make someone else happy, and that goes the same for online. I've never understood getting upset over words - they are just words - letters smashed together - why get upset?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had a friend's daughter invite me to be her friend on facebook, I declined the invite because I have a few friends that use extremely fowl language. It personally doesn't bother me, and I've used a few words myself, but I don't want to expose children to that. I have hidden posts so that the teens and my mom won't be exposed. But if you watch anything on tv any more you are bombarded with it.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010