Any advice on housetraining a Chihuahua?

I've read they are very hard to housetrain but surely theres a way...

Rita62865

Asked by Rita62865 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Yes find a different breed! Okay, joking aside, you need to be ultra consistent and use a teeny tiny dog cage for awhile.

Read and follow this:

http://finecanine.com/dog-training-community/13-dog-care-tips-a-advice/66-puppy-potty-training.html

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have a 2 pound chihuahua and it is very difficult to train him to do anything.
    They are very smart believe it or not and they know exactly what they are doing.
    This way may sound very mean but I have found it to be extremely effective;
    when your dog poops in the wrong place you open the dogs mouth, pinch the
    mouth closed on the fecies, then carry the dog to your desired potty place:
    poop in mouth.
    It may take a few tries but, this way works. Also I use the potty pads because
    my dog does not go out in the snow..
    jenny93

Answer by jenny93 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I ended up giving mine away. I hated to but it was a male and hiked and peed on everything. I could'nt tolerate that. Good luck !
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 11:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Crate training is the best way to housebreak any dog in my opinion. Stay away from puppy pads because they only confuse the dog. Those things basically teach the dog to go in the house and to pee on anything that is left on the floor. Be consistant take him out 10 minutes after he eats,drinks or plays. Make sure you feed him at the same time every day that will help keep him on a shedule
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thank you all for the advice. I had one chihuahua that thought he was a cat. lol But then he was raised around cats all his life. He wouldnt eat anything but cat food. lol I will try what you have advised and hopefully it will work. Thanks!!!
    Rita62865

Comment by Rita62865 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010