Stripping membranes?

Is this like a common thing now adays? What exactly do they do when they "strip" your membranes? Just curious because I keep hearing this from people and i'm kind of clueless. I've always had a doctor with a "it will happen when it happens attitude". Which is pretty much the way it should be in my opinion.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i had it done when pregnant with my second. i came in for my first week of being overdue appointment and she asked me and told me the procedure, how it works and stuff. i was a week overdue, i said sure. it doesn't hurt, it's just like a cervical exam only she scrapes it with her finger to literally "strip" the membranes and make them thin. if all works out like it should your water is suppose to break within 24 hours. well it didn't work for me and i ended up being induce another 2 weeks after that (3 weeks past due now) and my baby had gotten so big i had to have a c-section. she was 10 lbs. had i let them induce 2 weeks prior to that when i was only a week overdue, she would've been around 8 lbs and i may have been able to have her vaginally.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Honestly, I had never heard of it til I was on here. I had my first two boys, both were over due, and there was never a mention of it from my doctors. With this one though, as soon as I hit my due date the doctor offered to do it - and was shocked when I said no. We don't have the "it will happen when it happens" option, because of a hormone issue, but I still wait til the last min. to induce!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Ooh I see, so thats all it is? Didn't know it was just scraping with the finger. lol
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• lol yep thats all. ive heard some women say they experienced some discomfort but for me it felt like a regular cervical exam. and it was quick like one too.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had to have it done & I found it uncomfortable. As I understood it, the doctor forces his/her finger into your cervix to manually thin the membrane and semi-force dilation. It started my contractions but I still had to have pitocin (sp?) to induce. I had preeclampsia though - it wasn't the doctor just wanting to move things along.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, it's not a common thing. It's when someone strips the water sac from the side of the uterus with a finger.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010