What to do?

Every year my in-law chooses a place to have Christmas dinner at and this year it is a MIL house. I was always taught as a little girl "you can't eat everyone cooking" and I still believe that. Anyways of all the ten years we have been together I never ate anything that my MIL has cooked. She is filthy and I mean filthy. I wouldn't even take a bottle of water out of her fridge to drink. We usually bring a dish every year but this year she told everyone not to bring anything she was cooking everything this year. FIL is alwasy on my back for not eating at their house and I just have this feeling that he will be on my case this year(because he was surprise when i ate an aunt-in-law last year). I usually tell them i have already eaten but I been using that excuse for ten years now. What can I do? I cannot eat that woman cooking. It would be something different if everyone was bringing a dish but they are not. Any suggestions?

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 11:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• Either don't go, or bring a dish that they wouldn't make, and say you didn't feel right now bringing anything. Claim being on a new diet (vegan maybe?) My friend is on that, and takes her own food everywhere. OR offer to go early and help clean up and help cook? That way you know what is in the food and that it is clean...?
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 11:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Tell them the truth.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I feel a flu coming on, don't you?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Wow, that was kind of hard to read. Anyways, I agree with mrskrisher about taking food for a "special diet".
    Anonymous

• I would go with trying to find something positive to say.. don't lie that just gets you in more trouble. lets see.... Maybe you could go to your mil and help her cook and clean for the occassion. maybe you could bring a dish along with you and say you did not feel right making her cook everything..so you brought a few things along..... You could not go and say that you have decided this year to try your own traditions you want to cook for just your kids and hubby. or you can scarf down a bite of everythng and when she says was it good...it was tastey...YOU wount be lying. bc you did not say it was good or bad you just said tastey bc you in fact did taste it lol
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would take a dish or two anyway, you can play it off as not thinking it was right for her to have to cook everything. I wouldn't eat something that I was afraid would make me sick, and no way would I let me kids eat it either.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Ok where is the hubby on this one?  I would have him step up to the plate and have a talk (a serious talk) with his parents.  He was brought up in the household with them and this is most likely an environment that is NOT a surprise to him.  And, if you are not like this (thank goodness) than he knows different and should! You should have him involved in this conversation and lying is not an option.  Uncleanliness, certainly is not a comfortable way to spend the holiday!  MIL needs to hear it, but  in a gentle way - from her SON (you will be the bad guy) ! If you are willing he can offer to his mom your help in getting her "cleaned-up" so it will be a bit more civilized. Good luck. washing dishes

gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 10:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2010