How soon after your first baby did you start trying for your second?

Me and my dh have been talking about a second baby but I'm conflicted... my dd is 16 months old and i want to give her a chance to be the baby before i have another. How far in between do you guys think is good?

RyleesMom83109

Asked by RyleesMom83109 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter was about 18 months when we decided to stop birth control and use the "whatever happens, happens" method. Had no idea that it would happen the very same month as it took over a year to conceive our daughter lol It's been great though, they are great friends =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• for me I never tried for the second one it just happened. My DS was around 16 months old when I got pregnant with my second child. They are exactly 2 years apart. When they were young i had to make sure i made time for the 2 year old just as much for the baby. Now they are older and it is nice because they are very close and have a lot of fun together.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Well my dd will be 9 in Jan. and I am thinking about having another. I had to go thru a divorce, 5 years of single parenting, a move and new marriage...Now I think I'm ready lol. I will bump so you can get some better answers!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I didn't really try, but I became pregnant again when my DD was only 3 mo. old. Her and her brother are best friends (most of the time). And again when DS was almost 14 mo. I think it really depends on if you are ready to go through another pregnancy with a toddler and then have 2 children under the age of 3. Just remember that chasing after a toddler is always exhausting...even more so when you are pregnant. All women are different so expect conflicting answers to your question. My children are currently 5 years, 4 years, 2 years and 24 weeks gestation. I wouldn't change a thing.
    MBargie

Answer by MBargie at 11:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• After my 1st one I practically tried immediately to get pg with another yet it was ot to happen till almost 11 years later. Their were several miscarriages in between though. Our last 2 kids are 17 months apart. It is close but good!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Had him natural...thought I would die....5 yrs! lol, however there are only 13 months between my last two kids.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks for your responses! Its nice to get some responses that arent telling me i should wait til she's in school and all kinds of negative responses like i get from our families.
    RyleesMom83109

Comment by RyleesMom83109 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We weren't trying but our oldest was 6 months when I got pregnant again. They are 15 months apart and it was pretty fun. Not so much when I got pregnant when he was 4 months (they are 13 months apart). They are 10, 9 and 8 and I can't imagine doing it any other way. They are best of friends (2 girls with a boy stuck in the middle) and have many of the same friends so they do everything together. Then there are 3 1/2 years between #3 and #4 and I HATED it. It just sucked to have a kindergartener, 2 preschoolers and a newborn. They were all way too demanding and I had to get out every day to take my oldest to and from the bus stop for school (which meant dragging a baby out in the winter or leave her in the house with a 4 and 5 year old for 10 minutes while I stood on the corner). She has little in common with her older siblings and always feels left out. I wish I could have had her closer to them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think you will know. Think about diapers? Do you want 2 kids in diapers? For us, we never did try for a second. We are happy with one child. He just completed our family. Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Right around the time DS was two. The time was just right for us, and I didn't want my kids more than 3 years apart--DD will be born a couple months before DS's 3d birthday so I'm happy :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010