How do you feel about your baby sleeping with you?

Am I wrong if I dont even want the crib in the same room? I have a small two bdrm townhouse and a bthrm joins them so it really feels like a one bdrm anyway. My friend acted surprised when I said the baby couldn't sleep with me. She has two kids, and I have none, so maybe she knows something I have yet to encounter, but I really dont want to start that. Plus my mom rolled over on my little brother, and thank God she felt him beating her for all he was worth. Poor thing! No wonder he's crazy now. LOL.

san126

Asked by san126 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm a big co sleeper. In fact we have co slept so long that if one of our tweens is ill he wants to sleep with Dad in the big bed.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, you're not wrong. Nobody can tell you what's right for you and your child other than you.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Before I had my first I thought I would never co-sleep. But with breast feeding and at times the only way I could get sleep. I like it. We have done it with all three our children.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Co sleeping is safe if it is done right. I sleep with my DD. I love her, but she is a wild child in her sleep. She kicks and punches.

We nurse so it's easy to handle night feedings. She also sleeps better in the bed with us.

An English researcher Named Sunderland says that co sleeping is better for children and helps stave off illnesses like digestive disorders and stress issues.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:37 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You aren't WRONG, but I don't agree with anyone who puts their kids in another room. My children always co-slept with us, and our new one will two when we bring her home. It's been proven to be best for the child's mental, emotional and physical development. That said, if you aren't comfortable with it or you are more comfortable with having them in another room, that's your choice. It's far from the worst thing you can do as a parent!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:37 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't think you're wrong, you parent whatever way suits you best. Personally, I felt that co-sleeping was easier for nursing and my husband and I slept well knowing that our little girl was there, moving minimally because subconciously, you tend to know they are there.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 11:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You have to do what works for YOU! I love it when our kids sleep with us ( our 2 yr old thinks our bed is his and ends up there about 5 of 7 nights ) but they did have their own beds too
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I cosleep and love it.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my children always had their own rooms from day one. however, they didn't use it much until they were older. a lot of times i had to put them in bed with me when they were newborns because of breathing & colic issues with the first, and sleep deprivation issues with the 3rd. my 2nd slept in her playpen in our room up til 3 months because we had a 2 bedroom and didn't want to put a baby who woke up 3-4 times a night in the same room with a trying to sleep 2 year old. so once she slept thru the night we moved her. my 3rd's crib was in the same room for almost 6 months because of limited space issues. when we got a bigger place, and she slept thru the night, her and my 2nd shared rooms. even now that they're 4, 2, and almost 1, if we're having night problems they crawl into bed with us. mommy needs sleep!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Everyone is different. I co-slept from day one and me and my SO love it. Funny Story: I started to put my son in a crib at night and when my SO would come home, after work, I would wake up in the middle of the night and, magically, the baby got in the bed. :) But even now, my son is 13mos, we are starting to put him in his bed for naps, but his bed is like 5 feet from ours. :)

But if you feel better with your LO in the other room thats your decision. At least you won't have to deal with tryig to kick them out when they get older :)
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010