Should I go ahead and take him in to the ER or wait for the nurse's line to call me back?

Last night my son stepped on something in the hallway. He wouldn't let us touch it, and since it was late, we slapped a band-aid on it and put him to bed. This morning, I took the band-aid off, and I cleaned his foot as best as I could. After I got the blood surrounding it off, I noticed that there was something in his foot. I got a pair of tweezers, but I'm unable to get the object out. I called his doctor's nurse line and left a message asking them what to do. When you leave a message with the nurse line, it tells you that you will be called back before 4p. It's 1135a here. I'm not sure if I should wait to see what they say, or if I should just take him in to the ER and let them pull it out. I don't really know if this is something that should be considered emergency or not; I've never dealt with foreign objects in the feet before, and I'm not sure what it is anyway.

I guess basically my question is: Will he be okay to wait until the nurse line calls back, or should I go ahead and get it taken care of ASAP? If I wait until the nurse line calls back, there's a chance he won't get an appointment until tomorrow.

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 11:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think he will be okay!! As long as there is no red line going up his leg!! If there is a red line you may want to take him to the hospital
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 11:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Could his pediatrician squeeze him in? Thats alot cheaper than an ER visit

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Can you speak to someone at the office? Explain the situation to them. They'll tell you what to do.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Do you have an urgent care you can just go to? If you do I'd opt for that. Probably not an extreme wait, minimal extra cost, get it over with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If it were my son, I'd take him in.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Do you have a Quick Care nearby? Take him there. Or, just go to the Dr office and wait til they get you in.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I guess it depends on how well your insurance covers ER visits. Ours not at all, I'd wait and see chances are the dr. can take care of it I'd guess. I've had a regular family dr be able to remove a peice of glass that had been imbedded in the skin and healed over, and reg visits are far cheaper in my experience than er ones.
    However if you're realy worried it is a good option. If it's too long, and you really do want him seen today in all fairness call the regular number and say you need to talk to a nurse ASAP because he may need a visit today and explain why. Chances are that might help speed the process. You know, squeky wheel gets the grease.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 11:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The cost of the ER visit is the main reason I'm debating this.

I have to wait for the nurse's line to call me back. I already spoke to someone at the doctor's office, and they told me I had to call the nurse line.

Urgent care sounds like a good idea, except for the fact that they are pretty hit or miss here. Sometimes you get a good doctor, and sometimes you wonder if they got their degree out of a cracker jack box. I will keep that in mind though.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Unless he's in a lot of pain, I'd wait. There are sooo many sick people in the ERs this time of year, you'll probably end up waiting for hours and get stuck catching a cold or flu.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'd say call his pediatrician. Mine usually makes room for them. Or ask them if he needs to go to the ER.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 11:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010