I seem to be becoming less in the christmas spirit since my husband has become unemployed, leaving us with very little money. There are several things around the house that need to be done that we can't afford. Any suggestions on what I can do to occupy myself or take my mind off this?

gatorswife

Asked by gatorswife at 11:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Maybe get some stuff together and have a nice garage sale. Not only will looking for things that you can sell occupy your time, but having the garage sale will help get some extra money for repairs.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Be thankful for the things you do have... and like PP said maybe a yard sale, or post unneeded items on craigslist.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Go out this weekend and mushroom pick? I live by the forests and ocean so it is easy for us to do things with no $$$$. We went out last weekend and collected cedar bows and holly branches to decorate our house. It made our house way more christmasy. I even hung a mistle toe. lol

We also have a ton of repairs needing to be done. But we are waiting for taxes. =)
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 11:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Try to make Christmas as joyful as possible, remember what you do have....make decorations with the kids out of construction paper, listen to holiday music. Make gifts for the family....look up "hand print poem" there are several beautiful ones out there, print them out and put your child's hand print on the bottom and give as a gift, look at "handmade gifts" online and the group right here for inexpensive ways to give a few gifts that are more meaningful than what money can buy.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Try to find stuff around the house that you don't need and see if you can make it into something useful.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 4:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• To take your mind off of it? Yes. Read this woman's journals.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/archive.php?user_id=680

(No, I promise you, I'm not being sarcastic. You'll be changed. Please, go read. Please. You'll gain a new perspective and hopefully be able to see your situation in a new light. Please go read - please read several - after reading a few, you'll begin to see which ones to click on. and maybe when you're done reading, you'll come back and tell us what you think)

And while you do that, I'll try to think of some suggestions for you. My situation is pretty tough too, so maybe I can think of a few things to help us both.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 8:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I just went and read a couple of them. WOW. I am in tears. And they're so beautifully written? That I'm going back and reading more. I think I'll read them all. 134 of them, give or take a few of the more frivolous ones - and there aren't many of those. I can't think of a better way to spend my time. WOW.

PP, thanks for the tip. I've been feeling bad myself lately. This helps me to see that I really have so much more than I thought.

OP, my suggestion is to focus on what you do have. I hope things get much better for you in the new year. Hang in there.
    Anonymous

• It's not about stuff. Don't worry, look around at what you have and make a nice Christmas for your family. If you are like me, you have decorations in a box in the basement. Use what you have. Keep it simple and enjoy your family.

findingharmony, I am in your group. I went and read some of the journals. (I decided to start with the oldest first and read forward) I am learning so much, about Kate, yes, but also about me. This reading, it is a gift. It may be the best gift I have received in a very long time. Thank you.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 9:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Instead of dwelling on the negative, count your blessings.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2010