Is it okay for a parent getting child support to ask for more during the holidays??

Before I get bashed this was a question on the radio!!!  I'm happily married to my DDs father!!

2prettylittle1s

Asked by 2prettylittle1s at 11:59 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. If you were together, your money would be what it is...there would be no more miraculously dropped in your bank account. I think men are angry about the way Child Support is set up. I agree they should pay their share, I was a single mom with 3 kids and NO support. BUT, many times women use it for anything and everything but support. My DH's ex had 4 checks on her counter, and told my DH is was "such a pain to remember to cash them" SERIOUSLY??? I look at it this way, there are so many dead beat dads out there, and child support is NOT a garuntee to any of us..this I know! So, I just take care of my kids, and never allow myself to rely on child support, dangerous way to live.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Ask for more child support? No. Especially if it is court mandated.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 12:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No. I would never do that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, it isn't okay. You're fortunate to even be getting child support. Even court ordered. I see many women every week who have court orders but haven't seen a dime in ages.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't think so. Isn't child support court ordered? I've never heard of it changing for a holiday.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Hell no.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, because like any form of payment you receive, you must budget that amount. Just because it's a holiday you wouldn't tell your boss you need more money next paycheck, so child support should work the same way.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• it should not change during he holiday because child support is for the needs of the children. its based on both incomes. i think its changes only if income or circumstances changes.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think it depends on the type of relationship they have. If you and your ex are on good terms and you want to get something for your child that is a little more expensive you might want to ask if they would pitch in with you. I don't think you can ask for more money just because it is Christmas. Also, does the person paying child support buy the child gifts as well? I know it was just a radio question, although those are some of the things i would want to know.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, child support is based on income and it should be budgeted by the person receiving it. I got child support for my DD (now 21) and I would NEVER have even thought to ask that, it wouldn't have been right. And now my DH pays child support and if his ex asked for more money for the holiday I would be pissed.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010