I don't agree with religion, but celebrate christmas......

SOOOO many people don't get that it was ORIGINALLY a Pagan holiday, and not Christmas until the Christians came over to America and stole the Pagan holiday, then changed the name and made it about Jesus' birth. (Just a little history lesson.) You agree, or agree to disagree?

What do you do? do you go to church and offer gifts to baby jesus or do you put up a christ...mas tree and decorate your house with lights and give your kids every toy you see in a commercial and then claim it is nothing but jesus' birthday and how it should be celebrated?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 12:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Disagree. Your timeline is way off. Christmas has always been Christian. The date was moved to Dec. 25th to take advantage of all the other winter season holidays and to make it easier to convert non-Christians. All of this occurred long before any European came to America. (Just a little history lesson.)
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• "ok than, was stolen by Christians or just adapted by the Pagans who became Christians?"

Actually, the way I've heard it, Christmas was stolen by the Grinch...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Although it occurs to me, if the Christians "stole" Christmas from the Pagans, aren't atheists now "stealing" the holiday from Christians? I mean, if they are celebrating the holiday on the same day with a completely different meaning....
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• wow...didnt even read the America part...yeah thats WAY off.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Are you looking for a fight with your misinformation?

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't like the "stolen" terminology. If I steal something the person doesn't have it anymore. I believe the Pagans on here will confirm they still have the originial holidays (or celebrations) that Christmas was derived from. That said I give my children gifts, go to church not only Christmas Eve but most Sundays. The tree in my entry way is a Christmas tree, with both Christian and secular decorations.

At the risk of being repetitive, as I've said this before, symbols are open to interpretation. To me it is Christian, to someone else it may be different. The meaning to me is what is important not the origin of the custom or symbol.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yeah, I took the bloody time to read the thread you, OP posted. This question, like the anon said is VERY LOOSELY based on that FB discussion. I agree with the anon in the assessment of motive of the OP. This is nothing more than bait and switch. The discussion didn't go quite the way you wanted so you say it really isn't your question. Dishonest debate tactics (drama) don't go well with me.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• you wont find many ppl in this section that dont already know Christmas' origins...the only thing debated about that here is if it was stolen by Christians or just adapted by the Pagans who became Christians.
    okmanders

• le sigh
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yeah, I agree with isabella, Christmas didn't orignate in America. You might wanna bone up on your history before you start giving lessons....
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010