Does anybody work and still breastfeed?

I just had a baby a week ago and I work full time so but I am planning on breastfeeding. I breastfed my middle child but because I work at  the daycare that she attends I was able to just breastfeed her on my break. With my newborn however, I am planning on pumping my milk but I'm worried about how I am supposed to stay on a pumping schedule? Do I just pump when I would usually feed her?

Platinum_Mommy

Asked by Platinum_Mommy at 12:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I am at work I pump every two hours. My pumping schedule at work is more regular than my baby's feeding schedule but it all works out ok. I've been able to sucessfully work and breastfeed 4 kids.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• yes...every two hours and that is way more regular than my babies feeding schedule. Plus breastmilk is a supply/demand thing...the more you pump the more your body will make. Maybe you can store some up this way too.
    Congrats on your bundle o' joy!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 12:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• pump every couple hours.

I bought a Medela Swing, a small portable single breast pump, works great by the way and I recomend it to any woman going to work, school, etc.

anyway I would go in my car every couple hours and pump. I would bring a small purse looking cooler and keep everything stored in my car. Before you start to pump, so you can get the most milk, kind of, finger massage your breast, of course, not obviously, so when you get to start pumping its ready to flow out, so you can get the most out of your break. :)

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I worked 60-hour weeks. It's a big fat myth you must stay home to nurse, and I'm dedicated to squashing the life out of that myth.

My pump schedule had nothing to do with my son's nursing schedule, since he didn't nurse on a schedule anyway. I merely pumped every break, and I had three per day. I also took 3000 mg fenugreek daily and drank three cups of motehr's milk tea wo keep my supply up. Both are at health food stores.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I worked and breastfed and it worked just fine.
    For me... I would pump right before I left for work... even if he just ate to empty my breasts so I didn't get engorged... and then I tried to pump 2 times but sometimes I only was able to pump once while at work... and then when I got home I would either pump or feed him (or both) depending on when he had eaten last. And then I also pumped right before bed every night. I usually had plenty of milk for daycare... EXCEPT on Mondays I needed to use my frozen supply because I didn't pump on the weekends.
    Make sure you have a high quality pump like Medela.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I worked up until DD was 6 months old and breastfed. I was able to take her to work with me most of the time. I pumped at home and stored up in the freezer.

There were a few times when I couldn't take her with me somewhere and it would hurt. I couldn't pump at work because work for me was going to public events. Like parades and such. Once I had to hand express into a t-shirt while I was stuck somewhere and totally engorged. Miserable.

You can work and breast feed. Even if you have a non traditional job schedule or environment.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2010