Rh Negative?

Anyone rh negative and the rhogam shot not work? Can you just share your experience or that of someone you might be close to.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 12:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You have to have the shot during pregnancy and after depending on the blood type of the baby.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I am Rh negative and with my last child I had the rhogam after his birth... but I have miscarried twice since he was born and my doctor is thinking its because of the Rh factor... I don't know how it couldn't work, but my body fought off the last 2 pregnancies like it was fighting the flu, I don't even know how my blood mixed with theirs. Its a weird thing and it scares me that I will never have a viable pregnancy again and will always end in miscarriage.... Why do you ask though? Has it happened to you?

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Nevermind, I'm not sure. I just read a little about it, but I thought I was Rh negative and I didn't have to get the shot, maybe I'm thinking backwards. Just disregard what I say!
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have lost a baby because of it. My first pregnancy which it does not effect usually ended in miscarriage, the baby died around 20 weeks and I miscarried around 24 weeks. I have since had 3 successful pregnancies since then and have not thought twice about it. The shots were worked and I thought that they were a sure thing. Until a call from my doctor yesterday explaining that the last one did not work and my body is producing antibodies. i am going back in today for more blood work and to hopefully talk about what happens from here. But I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
    Melbornj

Comment by Melbornj (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• IS there anything they can do about it?
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Well that is more or less my question I suppose. I can do research out the wazoo and find different things, blood transfusions being one of them but I am not sure of the normal course of action. Apparently it is very rare and is not something that I truly know anything about although I had read, read and read some more.
    Melbornj

Comment by Melbornj (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have tried to figure out if there is a solution too... I'm not too keen on transfusions though. Well good luck and update me (if you will) on what your doctor says. I'm sorry for you and I understand what your dealing with.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• maybe talk to your ob about getting it earlier in pregnancy? idk i had it with both my kids b/c dh and my blood's rh factors are different..i got one while pregnant and one right after i gave birth with both my kids GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I lost my first baby b/c I'm rh neg and my mother always told me i was b + so i told the dr that. the rhogam shot is so your babys blood doesnt mix with your blood. most drs only give it at 28 weeks or after a delivery or m/c. the truth is there could have been several reasons for your m/cs. I took lovenox shots so i wouldnt miscarry and it worked .. talk to your dr to se if that will work for you
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Oh my goodness! I am Rh negative, and no one even told me the shots may not work. Mine worked fine...
    Good luck to you and I hope this can all be worked out!!!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010