my daughter just turned 18 months and she is acting completely out of sorts.

She has been refusing to eat lunch and dinner. She loves cheerios, bagels, toast, etc.. But we don't want to only give her those things. Second, she started to have MANY temper tantrums. I try to walk away and let her battle through it, but she doesn't come out of them and when 20 minutes hit, I try to help her calm down. Any thoughts? I am feeling so helpless and stressed. I want to do what is best for her and have no clue what that is. PLEASE share your experiences and suggestions on the eating and tantrums. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• on the tantrums my girl is 15months and i just put her in her crib when she has one and wait for her to calm down before i get her up again, eating wise im having the same problem
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• WIth the eating I think you just keep offering healthy options and as long as she is eating those, even if it is the same things, that's ok. She'll eventually get sick of that and move on to something else- by next month she may suddenly hate cheerios. For the tantrums, I think you have to try some other things. Clearly she is having trouble calming herself down if it goes on for 20 mintues or more. My DD doesn't always just end a tantrum if I ignore her like the advice says. Sometimes I have success getting down to her level and telling her to take breaths or to press her lips together and this helps her calm down, or I repeat to her how she is feeling, "you want that, you want that so much" and let her know I understand. I wait to remind her she can't have it until she has calmed down some. Sometimes it also works to tell her she has to calm down or she will need a time out to calm down. Try to see what works for your DD. GL
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Hello. First of all, limit the snacks between meals. Second, it's not the end of the world if she eats Cheerios all the time. They have oats in them, which are healthy. Make sure she has fruit to snack on as well. Put some peanut butter on apples to make sure she has enough protein. It's not as important that she eats what's for dinner, as it is that she has balanced food groups throughout the day.

As far as the tantrums go, this may sound mean but it's better than spanking or screaming. If the tantrum continues past 10 minutes, get a glass of cold water and pour it on her head. If she continues say, "Do you want another one?" Stay calm. I promise, it won't take very many times before she learns to control herself better.

You can also put her in her room until the tantrum stops. Be willing to hold your ground, but let her out as soon as she calms down. Do not lose your cool.

http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 4:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2010