Did you hear about the government's latest ban?

WASHINGTON – It's the end of the traditional crib that has cradled millions of babies for generations.

The government outlawed drop-side cribs on Wednesday after the deaths of more than 30 infants and toddlers in the past decade and millions of recalls.

It was a unanimous vote by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to ban the manufacture, sale and resale of the cribs, which have a side rail that moves up and down, allowing parents to more easily lift their child from the crib.

The new standard requiring cribs to have fixed sides would take effect in June. The move by CPSC would also prohibit hotels and childcare centers from using drop-sides, though those facilities would have a year to purchase new cribs.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101215/ap_on_bi_ge/us_safer_cribs

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yes, I heard. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my daughter's old drop-side crib now.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't know why they bothered - the idiots who couldn't figure out how to follow the directions to put a drop-side together aren't suddenly going to get smarter and be able to put a solid crib together by magic. All of those deaths and injuries were due to people not putting them together correctly, not an inherent design flaw.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Is this another example of government overstepping their bounds?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• interesting. all 3 of my children slept in a drop-side crib from birth to 2 years of age. none of them have been injured from it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• – collapse
    Sounds like a good decision to me.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Um, no.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I heard this too....no idea what I'm gonna do w/my daughters. I obviously can't re-sell it.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 12:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i agree with notpanicking. this ban isn't catering to faulty cribs, its catering to ignorant parents who cant put the crib together properly. everything can be a hazard actually. reminds me of that construction playset a mom got for her 11 month old when the description clearly read for ages 3 and up and the child choked on a toy screw. the playset was actually recalled. yet it was the stupid mother's fault for buying her son that toy when he was not old enough to play with it and clearly not supervising him properly. perhaps we should ban bathtubs now since thousands of infants/toddlers drown in them each year.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• And now we can all thank the 3 geniuses who downvoted me for never bothering to read the recall reports, or they too would know how all those injuries happened when it first came up last year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010