What is your thoughts on kids and soda's?

Okay so my DD is going on 2 in January. She does not get soda and has never had any! Is there a time that is okay or is it best to just never introduce it to her! So confusing would love your thoughts! She does occasionally get tea! Most of the time its water, and Crystal Light flavored water!

mommakoehler88

Asked by mommakoehler88 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My thoughts are only in moderation on special occassions, at least that's what works for us
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Personally, I'm going to hold off on soda as long as possible. I'm sure he'll reach an age where he really wants to try it and I'll let him, but if things were always perfect, he'd never drink it, lol. I'm just hoping it's a long way off.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My kids have sips of my soda if I'm drinking one. I don't let them have a can all to themselves or anything. Crystal light actually isn't good because of the aspartame in the fake sugar. I'd give my kids real sugar before that stuff.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't introduce it at all! My older kids started having soft drinks on a very limited basis (like 2-3 times/month) when they reached school age. My 2 year old has never had even a sip of anything but 100% juice (diluted), water, and milk; and he won't until he's at least 5.

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wouldnt offer it to her, unless she is asking for it.... Then, I dont see why a little would hurt. She may not even like the fizzyness of it. My son..doesnt care for it. I only give it to my daughter is is 4...once in a blue moon. I dont think there are any "rules" ...just your preference. If you do...I would definately not do it a lot..since it's not healthy.
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with it once in awhile, like a small cup at at birthday party.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I personally think in moderation it is O.K. I drank them like that growing up and turned out fine. I get mine 2 six packs every 2 weeks and when they are gone that is it. They are 8, 10 and 12. I also have a friend who didn't get any til she was almost 17 and when she started drinking she would drink anywhere from 2 to 3 cases a week. I think it's kind of like everything else if you are too strict they go crazy when they do get a chance.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• we have soda in the house because dh and i drink it. at first, i was strongly against giving it to my children. after all it's nothing but empty calories, loads of sugar and bad for the teeth. however, one day my 4 year old wanted to try it so i let her. she was disgusted.. lol she did not like the carbonation and said it was "spicy". when my younger two are older and they ask to try it, i will let them. if they like it, they can have it in moderation. moderation is my rule.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Kids dont need soda it will just root their little teeth. Yes they will lose the teeth but that still dont make in okay. Its also unneeded sugars
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• There really is no reason that kids should have soda, however from time to time I do order my daughter a sprite since it's caffeine free. As for cokes and all that mess, no thanks!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010