When selling on ebay, how do you figure out your shipping?

I have never sold anything before, but would like to begin to get some extra money and clean out some closets. I am not sure how to go about with shipping, should I actually weigh the items, go to the post office. I am sure that I am over thinking this but would love some insight from some pros. Suggestions?

Jtsmom0621

Asked by Jtsmom0621 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Money & Work

• If it's small enough to fit in a priority mail box or envelope, just charge them the cost of that. It's flat-rate. Whatever fits in it goes for $4.85 or something like that. :)
    Anonymous

• I sell on Ebay and ship all of my stuff USPS Priority Mail (unless otherwise requested by the seller). You can order Priority Mail shipping supplies for free from the USPS. In addition to this, you will need to weigh the item packaged because it will vary unless you use flat rate boxes and/or envelopes. Not all Priority Mail is flat rate. There is a shipping calculator on www.usps.com that will give you the exact amount. If you pay the shipping fees on-line, they give a small discount. Hope this helps!
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 9:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Read through some adds, some say flat rate of 5$ or 10 or some even say will calculate once you win, no more then 7$, so neither of you loose money.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• In the beginning I drove down to the post office for every little thing. I live in Maine so I always gave the zip code 90210 - figured that was the furthest place from me. lol I did a lot of guessing until the rates changed then I had to purchase a scale. Which is around here somewhere, I should probably dig it out and sell it. Be careful selling on eBay - always purchase insurance it comes with D/C and you will need it. Buyers on eBay know they can get away with anything and they do. Also join the eBays sellers forum here on CM, you will be glad you did.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you're lazy and don't want to go down to the post office, (like me when I sold some books), just kind of estimate, go to the USPS website and see what they have for prices, then just tack on a buck or so extra to cover your butt. You can also compare similar items sold and see what kind of shipping others are using and the approximate price. You can actually charge as much as you want for shipping and handling, but don't go overboard of course. That's how I did it anyway, but I've only sold like a box of 8 books or something.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 9:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2008