Potty training a boy?

So we are trying to get my son to go pee in the potty, well he just went and sat on and peed, but it shot everywhere, I am so proud of him, but it would be better if we could manage to get the pee IN the potty. How do you manage to do that with boys, he doesnt quite understand the stand up and pee idea, considering he is mostly learning by watching his olders sister and me, daddy works a lot. How did you do it with your boys?

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 1:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• On the big potty? Portable potty seat with a deflector. Or simply teach him to "push it down". :0)
    JefferJo

Answer by JefferJo at 1:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Bjorn makes a great potty for boys. The splash guard is built in so it doesn't flip down, and it's easy to clean. They have a portable ring that's built the same way for putting on the big potty.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I tried teaching my older son to sit first because I read it was easier/better to do it that way. We started a little after he turned 2 but he refused to use the little seat on the toilet so he had to hold himself up with both hands and had no free hand to point it down (which he just did not get). He would pee over the toilet seat onto the floor and his feet and get so upset he wouldn't try for another couple of weeks (he's a perfectionist and if he doesn't get something the first time it really upsets him...he's 9 and still like that).
    When he was 2 1/2 I finally told my husband to show him how it's done because I couldn't. My husband took him in there, stood him on his stool told him to aim into the toilet and that was it, lol. A couple days later he was peeing in the potty every time and after a week was fully day trained. It took just that one time of my husband showing him. He was the easiest (I also have 3 girls).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We did it on a portable potty, may have to look for one with a diflector, I did try to show him to push it down, hopefully that will help! Thank you! Ive done this with a girl, but its so different with a boy.
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• get a few cheerios and put them in the toilet and let him have fun aiming at them.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 1:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Just be careful of the ones with the flip down splash guard. We had one of those and used it for two days before throwing it in the trash. It would flip down or come off every time my son tried to pee. This is the one we had, and actually, my review from 2005 is the second one on the page (Ferrety): http://www.amazon.com/BabyBj%C3%B6rn-055115US-BABYBJ%C3%96RN-Potty-Chair/dp/B000056J7L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292436925&sr=8-1

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We used the deflector when they were just starting out. But as they got older we taught them to "push it down" so they were peeing down in to the potty rather than out. And then we worked on the "holding & standing" part...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My good friend told me that she showed hm how to push it down and put a cheerio in the potty and told him to aim for it. Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• don't teach him standing up!! He is not tall enough to get it in the toilet. and it will go every where !!! Teach him sitting down it will be much easier all around that way for poop potty training, because he is already in the correct position.
    Just teach him to "push" it down while he pee's . I had my own daycare for years and that is how I taught all my little guys (and my sons) to go, not to mention my 15 or so nephews
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010