What are some things that I can do to make sure that my 7 year old son and 3 year old daughter don't feel unimportant or ignored now that they have a newborn baby sister at home?

Platinum_Mommy

Asked by Platinum_Mommy at 1:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• let her help you take care of the baby if you are breastfeeding pump some and let her feed it or if you are formula feeding do the same. Make a daughter day out where you and her go to the movies or go just by yalls self to the park ect. When you cook dinner let her stir the bowel ect.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 1:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• make time for them you may never get rest but when the baby is asleep play with your other 2 kids if you have a husband when he gets home for work or vise versa he takes the baby and you play with the kids or you can take the baby and he can take the kids just make sure some how they get there attion to
    katkashka

Answer by katkashka at 1:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Make Mommy and me time. It can having they help with diapers, changing, bathing, feeding(I breast feed and that is story time). Have them help out with meals, laundry or cleaning. Have art time or doing something they would love to do.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I always tried to make time just for them. At night time I would still put them to bed and read books like we always did before the baby came. I would also take them out for mom and me time, I would let them choose what we would do, either we would go to the park for a little while or to lunch. I think it is important that they know they can still come to you when they need to, even if you have to say."Give me one minute and I will help you with that.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Have your 3 year-old-daughter take care of her "baby" while you're taking care of your newborn. Encourage her to change her diaper, feed, burp, etc. Ask your son to help out. He should be old enough to hold the baby. Include them in the care of the newborn.
    shughes903

Answer by shughes903 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• When I brought home my newest baby I made sure to have people over at the house to hold the baby while I spent time just with the other kids and I also tryed to just spend time with them alone. Like play games, talk,read, color, make something for the baby like a pitchure or just tear paper and glue it to another paper, let them take pitchures of the baby, have someone take a pitchure of you, the baby and the 3 year old, and also with the older boy, play t.v games with the older boy, play games on the computer with the boy, the maine thing is to keep the comunication open with the boy because he is so much older.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Get them involved with the baby!! Its their baby sister, get them excited to help pick out her clothes, feed her, bathe her.. and do things individually with them at least once a week. And praise them for doing so well with her, and remember they are their own little people and they like their own activities.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• allow them to help out with the child.. and make days where just you and your older kids do something alone out of the house away from the younger child.. children need attention one on one time with mom and dad and with mom seperatly and dad sepreatly.. try that see if it works?
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• From a positive perspective, it has been said that 3 years between children is an ideal space because the older children are both young enough to still do as you ask and old enough to understand when you have to ask them to wait because you have to attend to the baby. So many good suggestions already posted about making special time for just them and asking them to help, etc! But remember too that this is just a normal family situation. Don't overthink or overanalyze it. Your children were already involved while you were pregnant and probably are better adjusted than you think!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2010