My 9 year old son has been daignosed with ADHD last year. I chose to not put him on medication due to to me beinv scared it may change him or dependancy issues. Do you have a child with adhd? and what medication, if any have worked and not worked for your child?

My son talks back, doesnt listen, has bad grades... is very forgetfull. And may fail 3rd grade. Are these issues common with ADHD and has medication help with the problems?

CynCity281

Asked by CynCity281 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• There are some huge misconceptions about ADD meds for kids. They don't use anphetamines to treat ADD anymore, so you don't need to worry so much about dependency. My son did very well on concerta, and straterra. He only takes them while in school, but he was doing great in school, and his attitude was a lot better. He was happier because he was productive and could finish a thought. Those meds were a little tough on the tummy for him, so he is going to try a new one coming out.

I do believe it's wise to wait on meds after learning your child has ADD,and try to manage the disorder. But at the same time, be open minded if that isn't working. I have it also. I'm actually very read up and studied on the issue, and my mother majored in learning disabilities, so I have learned a lot. If you ever need to talk, PM me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• DS,11, has ADHD and is on Vyvanse. He has done great on this. It does not change his personality, it allows him to think about things clearly and choose his behavior. He says that his brain is "fuzzy" when he doesn't take his meds. He has also told me that he knew that his behavior in the past was not right, but he just couldn't make himself stop. Since starting on this medication we have seen him bloom. Before, we knew that he was a very smart kid, but we didn't know how smart. For one he is in 5th grade and we found out that he is reading at a 12th grade level. He also qualified as a Duke TIP Scholar. This year he was elected his class rep. for Student Council , this would not have happened before, because he was thought of as a goof off and never taken seriously.We have had very few issues with his meds other than a headache here and there and loss of appetite at 1st, but have resolved them. Good luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My daughter has been on meds since she was 7. The impulsivity was so bad she would never think about walking in front of a car so we had to for safety reasons.

If you have tried everything else and nothing has worked, meaining behaviors mods, therapy and diet please try the meds. These kids are so bullied because they are different already and it eats away at their self esteem. At least with meds it helps them to control the impulses and be able to sit still and learn and not disturb the class.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yeah every child is different when it comes to side effects. We couldnt do Adderall.

riotgrrl: What is naturopath??
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I was very defensive when the doctor said ADHD. It felt like I'd failed as a parent. I know dads don't feel this way! We tried Ritalin in a pill & got a bounceback reaction in the evening. Then my coworker said there was a patch. It is called Daytrana. It is a miracle. Last year this time I was worried my child would get kicked out of school. This year, everyone says how well-behaved he is! It is a sticker about an inch square & I put it on his hip first thing in the morning. It kicks in gradually & is at full effect in 2 hours. He takes it off around 4 or 5 unless he has an evening activity. The cost works out to $1 a day. His personality is the same, just quieter.
    Look, what you've been doing is NOT working so you might as well try something else. A book my son has enjoyed is Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention. I wound up buying 2 copies (possibly I have ADHD issues? lol) Anyway I can send the extra one to you.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 4:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We started with Ritilin. It helped, but not that much. Then this summer we switched to Vyvanse. My son made the honor roll!!!! You have no idea what an achievement that is. In school he was always trying to just not fail before. There is nothing wrong with medicating if needed. The problems you mentioned describe my son exactly. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son tried Vyvanse and Strattera. Both had very bad side effects for him. We switched to a naturopath who put him on a regimen of natural supplements that has helped immensely with no side effects.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son had a terrible time with Straterra. He woke up at 5:00 in the morning bouncing off the walls. Literally outside at 5 am playing basketball. You have to wait and see the effects the meds have on the child.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son is 15 and has been taking Concerta since the 4th grade. It helped him immensely with school. He only takes it on school days and not during the summer. We resisted, too, but decided to give it a try and were so pleased with the result that we've kept it going.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• When it comes to meds you really need to talk to the doctor. Not every child is going to do the same on the same med. It may take a try or two to get the right meds and dose. But it is well worth it. I have ADD and I wish my mother had put me on meds as a child. It would have helped in so many ways.
    Kids who have AD(H)D will try to self medicate if the parents do not put them on meds. Because they NEED the meds. regardless of how the parent feels about meds. The meds will only benefit your son.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010