Can anyone tell me how to get rid of fleas????

My cat and dog have them and I want to get rid of them as fast, easy and safe as possible, any suggestions? And I would also like to know if you have actually tried these and they worked or if you just read or heard about it.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pets

• mix some garlic powder in their wet food and bathe every other day in flea shampoo (what i did with my dog) idk about the cat getting a bath b/c cats are crazy lol GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• go to your family vet and ask about Frontline or Advantage. They work. It may take a few months to take care of all the hatch outs though. Borax rubbed into the carpet left to sit for a while then vacuumed up will also help a lot.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Call your local feed store and see if they have any food grade diamotceous earth. Its a powder, you can sprinkle it in your carpets and on your pets and it is food grade so it wont hurt the kiddos. BUT i do reccomend not letting them directly inhale it. You can use it inside and out. Let sit on carpet for a day or so and vac and do again if you need too. It shouldnt cost but about $10 for a bag and yes Ive used it and yes it works.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• you can order frontline/advantage off the internet or find them at any vet. get the 6 month supply or longer to keep the fleas in line. it is safe and will kill everything. also constantly vacuum their bedding, floor, furniture, wherever the pets hang out most. I treated my cat with frontline and vacuumed the house with borax in the collection bin, they were gone in a couple of weeks and havent come back!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The flea powder works pretty well on cats. But you have to make sure to get it on them really good, inbetween the toes and all.
    Flea baths for the dogs. Be sure to let the soap sit for 5 minutes, and wash more than once.
    Flea powder again for the floors and animal bedding areas.
    Then prevent it from happening again with the drops.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Get the systematic ones like Frontline, Advantage or Revolution.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We bombed the house. But it didn't work. What did work - We took the cat to the vet and got him treated. He was flea free. They used Frontline or Advantage I think. Then we didn't put him back in the house. I really can't remember what we did with him. Then we had an exterminator come and do their thing. It was great and worth the money.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The thing is, you can't just treat the animal. Once they jump off him they will be all over you. You have to kill them in the house.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Go to the vet and get either frontline,advantage(my fav for fleas), or revolution. These products are safe and effective. Anytthing you can get at the petstore that IS NOT one of the products I mentioned is dangerous and ineffective. Some one may mention using dawn and that does work for the fleas on the animals but not the ones in the environment. YOu need something that will last longer then a few hours so when the flea egg hatch those fleas will die. Make sure you use one of these products for at least 3 or 4 months to makje sure you take care of the whole flea cycle.Don't trust in the weather to kill of the fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Two home remedies that I've found that fleas seem to hate... I don't know why but they hate salt. We used to put salt on the carpet and we would hardly see any fleas after but they may still attack the pets. Then, I found out that they hate Oil of Oregano. I fed it to my cat every couple days and he stoped scratching and licking like crazy. He definitely felt better but you'll probably have to put the small gel cap down their throat like I did.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010