Is it normal for a 17 month old to poop more then 5 times a day

My son has been pooping more then 5 times a day for the past few months. It's not normal poop it's like newborn poop. The way it looks when they are breast feed but he isnt breast feed. He doctor says its normal but everyone else says it isnt so I figured I'll ask on here.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds normal to me. You should poop every time you eat, most people aren't that healthy, but it sounds like he's doing well!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Is he expressing any discomfort over it? Any rashes, or yeast infectons from it? If so, I'd tell your doctor it's causing a problem. Could it be his diet? Is he eating a lot of roughage? Lots of veggies, fruit, and grains can make them do that too! Not that those are bad.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Well my toddler only poops 1 or 2 times a day and some days not at all. So to me 5 times seems a little extreme. But everyone has their own normal. So while 5 times might not be normal for some for him it may be. If it concerns you I would contact his doctor again and ask for it to be addressed. Is this recent that he started this 5 times a day thing? And the consistancy doesnt sound normal for a toddler.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My 16 month old has been known to poop up to 3 times a day, but his has some substance to it. I wouldn't call it watery like newborn poop. I would think that as long as its not causing a rash or discomfort and he's otherwise healthy it's ok. Keep an eye out though, if he seems to be getting dehydrated, then contact your dr. right away.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Milk allergy maybe?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• you do need to give them alot of water.. the fresh veggies and fruits is why they are pooping that often. he needs fluids too.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Normal to me. My toddler still poops a lot sometimes and it still looks like he is BF.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 4:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No discomfort. I do feed them tons of fresh veggies and fruits. He just rarely has wet diaper. Its always poppy
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If you don't trust your doctor, not only should you be seeking a second opinion, but a new doctor as well.
    More fruit and veggies in = more soft stool out, IME
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010