so either myself or my mother in law wasn't paying attention in science class

my husband is 6'3. our 24 month old is 35 inches, considered "tall" for her age.

i always say "she's gonna be tall like her daddy" and my mother in law says "yea or she could get it from your aunt"

well, first of all i would think she'd get her dad's genetic traits before she'd get MY aunt's. and second, my aunt is actually my mother's half-sister. my aunt gets the tall gene from her dad, who was my mother's stepfather. my grandma is of average height like my mom and me. but my mil argues that "the genes are still there" really where? i do not share any blood with my aunt other than from my grandma. and like i said, she's not super tall.

so who is correct here? it irks me that this is even an argument. she should just accept that she got the damn tall gene from her SON. makes me wonder if she questions paternity or something!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You are, and your mother in law sounds like mine - she talks out of her butt all the time, but of course, she has to be right. LOL Next time, agree with her and see if she still contradicts you, mine would.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You are!

Answer by older at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• she could be short :) my ds is only 16 months old and he's 34 inches tall and my dh is only 5;11" and i'm 5'8" (he gets his height from my side b/c my dad and brother both are over 6ft tall) anyways to answer- you're right lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If you share no blood, then you share no genetics. The height is from your DH unless your blood Grandparents were tall. Your right!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It would be from your husband. The shared genetics with his,what would she be,half great great aunt,would be miniscule.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If your aunt is your moms half sister and the gene is from her dad and not your mom then no it could not be from your side of the family....but your MIL might not know she is a half sister to your mom. But if she is from the same 2 parents as your mom then yes it would be a resessive trait but it would still be there.
    Anonymous

• My MIL is like that, LOL. With her, it was his thumbsucking. Probably no genetics there, but when he started doing it, she was like "Oh he sucks his thumb like his cousin did when she was a baby!" Umm, no he sucks his thumb like mama did. I mean, can't possibly have any connection to his own parent. So that's like what your mom does with you, denying the connection to the father.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• lol thanks.. i thought so. but she insists it's from my half-aunt.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2010