spin off..car seat laws, government overstepping their bounds?

Is making laws about car seats and seat belts the government overstepping their bounds?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, they are protecting us.

Answer by older at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't believe so. I believe there should be laws that keep people safe and curb the need to use taxpayer money for preventable casualties.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

^^ the same could be said about ones HEALTH....thus opening the door for ban on fatty foods etc...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• YES! Completely! Should you have a seat belt? Should you put your kids in a car seat? Of course. But this is meant to be a "free country" and how free are we if we don't even get the choice about when our kids are old enough to not be in a seat? or whether or not we want to wear a belt? It's MY car, MY life & MY kids, no one but me should have the right to make those choices...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yes and no. If you are an adult and the only living being in the vehicle, it's infringing on you. The second there's another person in the vehicle, though, choosing not to wear a seatbelt turns you into a potential projectile that can injure or kill the other person. It's one thing to endanger your own life, it's something else entirely to endanger someone else's. Same goes for car seats.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Driving is NOT a right, it's a privilege. To go along with the privilege there are rules that must be followed. If you dont like the laws, dont drive.
    Anonymous

• it your life they want to keep you and your family safe the chance of get into accident is one million but that's the chance you want to take
    rather safe then sorry to lose a love one will never be replaces ,so here i wear my seat belt for my safety
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Are children still dying in cars? Yes they are, so clearly they aren't doing enough. Why the hell can't Congress get off their ass and make every thing 100% risk free for my family? (again sarcasm)

Clearly, there is no bright, clear line of where personal responsibility for safety and government over-sight are divided. I think car seat laws are a good idea because they work - there has been a real decrease in the number of injuries and deaths for children involved in motor vehicle crashes. Same with seat belts. It would be nice if there was an objective metric we could use to demonstrate when government "should" step in and when they should not. Without that, we have to rely on the judgement of the Supreme Court.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

Has nothing to do with if I like the rules or not..its is it OK for the government to make these rules....for safety reasons.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

I agree somewhat....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010