How can I get my 22 month old son to go to sleep in his own bed?

He is use to me picking him up and falling asleep on the couch. He has slept in his crib almost 8 hours, but that was several months ago. I put him in his crib and he cries, like it's torture or something. I end up laying down on the couch and he goes to sleep on me. I would like him to cry it out. My daughter has to get up for school, and I don't want her to wake up to his crying. OMG what have I done? What am I gonna do?

snsulli78

Asked by snsulli78 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Um yeah - been there - just a few weeks ago! I have a 2 year old with the same problem. He started waking up and I would bring him into bed with me so he didn't wake up his brother. Bad habit started!! So one night I just laid him back down and sat in the room with him until he fell back asleep. The next night I did the same thing but didn't stay as long. Then I left when he was "almost" back asleep. It only took a few nights of this and he's now sleeping soundly all night long again. You could try this on a weekend first so it won't be as bad if your dd wakes up. Good luck mama!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• oh have I been there (although mine will crawl in bed with us) for me the solution was to get my son in a big bed. That way I can come in bed with him, instead of him coming in bed with us. Cry it out doesnt work for me, I cnat stand it, adn know there are other options. So in bed with him I would just slowly get farther and farther away from him. LIke the first week, just sleep like you would on th ecouch but in his his bed. Then the next week, lay next to him instead of him on top of you. Then the next week, sitting at the end of the bed holding his hand, then the next week take away the hand, then just slowly move your way to dthe door. It takes a while, but my son sleeps till about 6 in the morning almost every night now, thats from waking up 3-4 times a night. So its been good progress. Soon enough he will stop looking for you to be there at all.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 1:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• he'll stay in his bed eventually! Make sure the room is baby proofed (sockets covered anything like bookshelves, dressers nailed to the wall, wires tucked behind furniture.....). Do your usual bedtime routine, kiss him goodnight and tuck him in. If he gets up, just keep escorting him to the bed. If he's tired enough he'll realize "oh ok I sleep on his bed". It took my son like a month or so to get used to it but he's a champ now
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i don't have two kids.. so i can't help you on that one! sorry :( good luck mama
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Hi! It's time to create a bedtime routine of brushing his teeth, having his bath, getting his jammies on, then sitting in his crib while you read a story to him. Maybe it's time to get rid of the crib and get a big-boy bed, one of those toddler beds that uses a crib mattress.
    He needs to stay in bed to get the story time.
    I suggest that you read, A Pretty Girl Was Alpha Bette, to him each night, as well as other stories. Boys love it, too, and it gives kids the 2 most important things they need: parent time and reading readiness the right way.
    You could possibly do his bedtime routine at the same time as his sister, and start putting him to bed earlier. She can enjoy the stories, too.

http:thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 4:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i'm sorry, but i would spank that little butt of his.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Start with a good routine and continually tell him during the routine that it's almost bedtime (bath, brush teeth, story or easy song).
    After that, put him in his crib, tell him good night, kisses. He will cry inevitably. Come back in after a few minutes and pat his back and lay him back down and remind him it's bedtime. Repeat this as many times as necessry until he finally falls asleep on his own, but space out how often you come in (2-3 minuts, then 4 or 5 minutes, etc.). It may take forever that first night. I suggest doing it on a weekend when your daughter doesn't have to get up early.
    The next night, repeat. It will get easier after a few nights. It's sort of a cry it out method, but you don't just let him cry and cry and cry.
    the main thing is that YOU have to tough it out. He will cry. But he's not hurt, he just doesn't want to be in the bed. After awhile, he'll get used to that being the routine.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 4:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010