How to celebrate the Solstice?

I always talk to my son about the solstices and equinoxes, but there aren't any organized events in my area that I know of. I'd like to mark this one, especially as it coincides with a full moon. It's in the middle of the week, at a busy time, so I don't think I can swing a party. Any ideas for how I can celebrate it with my 4 yr old son? THANKS!!

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 1:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• I'll second the UU church idea!

We are Pagan, and we are having a party with our school co-op, but at home, we celebrate with my telling a story of the first Yule or of the Holly and Oak king (these are Pagan traditional stories that can be found online...in many versions)
    And the celebration is of the "birth of the Sun" ...where we call the warmth and sun back to us with light and warmth...so candles, sun imagery, etc...are all fitting.
    If you want, message me and I can send you a few little solstice rhymes and chants that we use with our pre-school.
    Blessings!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 7:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My personal suggestions wouldn't really work for you AND your son lol, but you should really check out CharmingPixieFlora's videos on YouTube. I got some great Yule ideas from her (and she has kids, so she knows about incorporating them into things).

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Is there a Unitarian universalist church near you? They might have something planned that you could just show up!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• OH, we also give a gift or two ...but the theme of those gifts is light and warmth...so new robe, socks, mittens, etc...
    I got my DS slippers this year...and I'm getting him a new candle for our bedtime routine, to light during story time.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 7:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2010