anyone do natural childbirth?

i have been planing throughout this whole pregnancy to do natural childbirth because i just think it will be a lot better than the epidural (mine didnt work all the way with my son.) and no one i talk to in person has done this. so can anyone help give me some pointers?

teen_mommie101

Asked by teen_mommie101 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a natural childbirth with my son.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I did twice, it was a breeze, I took Lamaze classes the first time and it helped me with the pain, using a focal point brought from home, and focusing on it while the contractions were at their peek, slowly breathing in and out too.

Answer by older at 2:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Oops! I'm not sure what kind of pointers to give you, other than sticking to your decision. How does your SO other feel about this?
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• What kind of pointers? I've birthed naturally 3 times. I think it's really important (especially if you're doing this in the hospital) to have a good coach who knows what he's/she's doing. It's very important for you to be able to relax and limit your body's stress reactions. Remember not to scrunch up your face, breathe deeply or normally rather than hyperventilating...As much as possible STAY OFF YOUR BACK!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had a natural birth with my daughter. I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to handle not having pain medication because I have a low pain tolerance in general. It ended up being an amazing (but painful) experience. I had a doula, upon the recommendation of a friend. I don't know what kind of pointers you're looking for though. Have you taken childbirth classes? And will your SO/DH be with you? I never took classes, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without my DH supporting me during labor. If you ever want to message me or talk, please feel free. I'm expecting my 2nd in April and will be having another natural birth with her as well.
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 2:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• blessedwithree- he is the one that said i should do it in the first place. but also at that time we thought he was gunna be here for her birth.

misses_nick- well i have my foster mom and my real dad picked out to be in the room since they have helped me out a lot with all my preterm labor stuff and everything (also my real dad was in the room when i had my son). with my son the only thing that really got to me was when he was moving between my hips. other than that i pretty much laughed the whole time. what position do you suggest to use?
    teen_mommie101

Comment by teen_mommie101 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I personally prefer all fours or squatting. Standing with one foot on a counter or bed or something is good too. Since you're going to be in a hospital your options will be limited. Labor in any other position than lying down. When it comes time to push, you're going to be forced down. Ask that they at least let you use a squatting bar, which attaches to the bed.

misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I gave birth naturally. My biggest piece of advice would be to talk yourself up. Don't go into it thinking, "Oh this is scary, I'm not going to be able to do it!" or anything like that. Tell yourself, "I CAN do this and it's not going to be as bad as I think, and before I know it it will be over and I'll be holding my baby." Positive thinking helps soooo much. I didn't go to any birthing classes (they aren't offered anywhere around here), I just talked to people here and on other online forums and talked myself up. I also bought Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, which is amazing.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yes, I have.
    And yes, most babies born in the world/throughout history are born/were born naturally.
    ;-)

Have you been preparing? (reading, classes, doula)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I did natural and on all 4 is great for back pain, i agree with focal point, I used pic of my son to help. Its hard but amazing. with 3rd it got bad they gave me pain med but it never helped but it doped up baby and he was really sleepy and wouldn't eat first few days, he had to stay in hospital few extra days till he eat to pass his billirubin test(sp)' Make your choice and try to stay firm. positivr thoughts--GOOD LUCK
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 2:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010