Popular style crib banned in the USA - Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on this? I think it should have been done a long time ago!

After dozens of deaths, drop-side cribs outlawed

WASHINGTON – It's the end of the traditional crib that has cradled millions of babies for generations.

The government outlawed drop-side cribs on Wednesday after the deaths of more than 30 infants and toddlers in the past decade and millions of recalls.

It was a unanimous vote by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to ban the manufacture, sale and resale of the cribs, which have a side rail that moves up and down, allowing parents to more easily lift their child from the crib.

The new standard requiring cribs to have fixed sides would take effect in June. The move by CPSC would also prohibit hotels and childcare centers from using drop-sides, though those facilities would have a year to purchase new cribs.

Around for decades, drop-side cribs have come under scrutiny in recent years because of malfunctioning hardware, sometimes cheaper plastics, or assembly problems that can lead to the drop-side rail partially detaching from the crib. When that happens, it can create a dangerous "V"-like gap between the mattress and side rail where a baby can get caught and suffocate or strangle.

CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum hailed the new standard for cribs as one of the strongest in the world.

"I believe these new standards will markedly reduce crib-related hazards and help to ensure that young children sleep more safely in their cribs," Tenenbaum said after the vote.

In all, drop-side cribs have been blamed in the deaths of at least 32 infants and toddlers since 2000 and are suspected in another 14 infant fatalities. In the past five years, more than 9 million drop-side cribs have been recalled, including cribs from big-name companies such as Evenflo, Delta Enterprise Corp., and Pottery Barn Kids.

"These products are deadly, and this critically needed action will prevent further senseless deaths," said New York Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, who pushed legislation to get drop-side cribs off the market.

The new standard mandates tougher safety testing for cribs, tests that more closely mimic a child in a crib. As children get older, they can apply more force to the crib — shaking on it, running around in it, jumping up and down. The new tests aim to make sure the cribs can take that kind of pressure.

Better labeling on crib pieces will also be required — a measure that aims to cut down on the misassembly problems that some parents have encountered, problems that can lead to the death of a child.

For parents who lost their children in drop-side cribs, Wednesday's ban couldn't come soon enough.

"I feel like it's a celebratory time because things are finally being done about the issue," said Michele Witte of Merrick, N.Y. Witte's 10-month-old son, Tyler, died in a drop-side crib in 1997 after one of the side rails came loose, partially detached and then trapped his neck between the rail and the headboard.

Chad Johns, whose 9-month-old son Liam died in a drop-side crib in 2005, said he was a little relieved.

"Yes, it's a long time coming," said Johns from Roseville, Calif. "But the fact that it is happening — that's what is important."

Crib makers were already phasing out drop-side cribs over the last couple years, amid increasing problems with them. And last year, the organization that sets voluntary industry standards — ASTM International — approved a drop-side ban.

Many parents, however, still have drop-sides in their homes. They can also be found at secondhand stores.

Parents who are using drop-side cribs are advised to check the hardware on the cribs to be certain it's working properly and to make sure their crib has not been recalled. The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association, which represents over 90 percent of the crib industry, says properly assembled drop-sides that haven't been recalled can be safely used.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101215/ap_on_bi_ge/us_safer_cribs

Razelda

Asked by Razelda at 2:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never had a drop down side crib, I always thought they were kinda unsafe. Im glad they are doing this.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/674258/Did_you_hear_about_the_governments_latest_ban

this has actually been discussed earlier today. im against the ban.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• yeah but my baby slept in one fine.... good parents can counteract dangers with their intelligence... like if you dont let them get smashed in the corner and you dont put crap in the crib - common sense... other ppl from places other than america find us so weird - why do we have signs that say the moving sidewalk is moving and are we really that dumb... i guess i am glad the gov again is protecting babies from their stupid parents...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'm glad that they are doing this as well. It's a sad fact that manufacturers are cheaping out on the hardware, as well as people trying to put them together themselves. I don't know anyone with a drop-side that ever bothered dropping it, to be honest.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i will agree that this ban will prevent stupid parents from failing to read directions properly, thus saving the lives of more infants. i do not agree its the fault of the crib itself. and if we really want to go into dangerous, risky things, lets discuss bathtubs, driving, walking down the street...
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• What are they going to be replacing them with? My crib days are long gone (and honestly I co-slept more than I used the crib anyhow!) but I'm only 4'11... I would have had a very hard time not dropping my infant onto the mattress below without a drop side!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• @ Everyone -

I made a post in 20 something Moms forum. I posted a crib that'd be a good replacement for you shorter Moms... without the dangers of the drop side. GL! =)

Title of my post : Dropside crib style banned in the US - Thoughts? *poll added* *Another option added*
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Oh good grief. The fault lies with the parents not following proper instructions and not using common sense, just like any other recall and ban. Babies die from co-sleeping too. Are they going to ban that next?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think fault lies in more with shitty manufacturers.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think there's a good reason for them being banned. Not only is it people not using them properly that caused this ban, but the slide by safety standards causing harm as well. Better to be safe than sorry. Makes you wonder what the next baby product ban will be.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2010