do you have a horse?

what are their names and what kind are they ? are they hard to take care of? i want to get one in the future.. do you fall off them alot? please tell me anything about horses whether it be stories or facts

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pets

• My daughter loves horses. We don't have one at home, no where to put them. My bil has several though. Everytime we go over we ride them. I have never fallen off. Theres not much to riding, anyone who isn't scared of them can do it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My daughter has one that we keep at my mom's house, and my mom has one as well. My daughter's horse is named Creek, she's an Appaloosa. They do take quite a bit of maintenance, round bale of hay every week, water trough filled every couple days, ferrier to come trim their hooves, they also need their teeth floated (ground down), upkeep on shots, heartworm medicine, fly spray 2x + daily in the summer months. Only fell off her once (I did) because she spooked. If you do buy a horse, make sure you buy an older experienced trail riding horse. You don't want a young one that's still 'green' (untrained, not ridden a lot). My daughter is 5 and has been riding Creek since she was 3. She has the works, helmet, all that safety gear. You'll definitely want to take some riding lessons before you get one. It's like driving a car, you can't just jump on and expect to know what to do.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We have two, they eat alot and hay is expensive, you need to ride them to keep them in shape, they can be alot of upkeep. You only fall off if you don't know how to ride or you have some crazy horse. They are good for kids, kids with disabilities really bond well with horses and are often used as therapy.... um, its good teaching of responsibility for kids and a good hobby for anyone. BUT, they are not for everyone.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wish! I have dreamed of owning my own horses since I was 6 years old. I have been riding since I was six. I have only fallen off a handful of times and one time I almost did when I was jumping bareback. I was on a horse I had never ridden before. When the horse landed I was still on but sideways and was able to pull myself up. I have very strong legs. I love to ride, horses are in my blood. There is not enough space for all the stories I have.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My best friend has a Hanovarian named Snip she rides dressage with. The horse is huge!

There is a lot of costs with food, vet bills, fariars (for horse shoes), saddles and equipment, plus stable fees. Plus you'd need some training if you've never ridden before. Falling off is largely dependent on your skill and the temperament of the horse.

If you are really interested, try finding a local stable that offers riding lessons. That way you can spend some time learning what it takes to own a horse and the amount of time and money involved. Lots of places lease horses so you don't have to make the full investment.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have 3 Tennessee Walkers and 2 quarter horse palimino mixes... I have been thrown from the horse my stallion while breaking him. I have never fallen off. I have been riding since I was 3 I'm now 24. It depends on your skill for the falling...
    Horses are a high maintainence animal been the gear ** saddles aren't cheap** the food * both grain and hay* the vet ( lord help you if there is colic involved) the ferrier... they add up. Plus exercising. You have to ride often not once every 8 months. That will not help. But if you are willing to put in the time, energgy, money... you will be very happy. Very.
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Sorry I fotgot to add : dakota ( stallion) Yukon ( gelding) Tamar (gelding) Mohican ( gelding) Ginger and Cinnamon are the mares
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, I always wanted one when I was younger. Now it sounds like a whole lot of work.
    Kilhara

Answer by Kilhara at 4:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yes, we have a horse, a gaited pony actually. She is a very big commitment, but it is well worth it. My kids ride her every which way, and they only fall off her for fun, dh slides off of her.

You can find a very safe, broke horse that will take care of you. It is hard to fall off of that type of horse, but of course a fall is always a possibility. There are babysitter horses out there, but you have to look. My pony is definitely a babysitter!

I would recommend a quarter horse as a good choice for a novice rider. They are often quite mellow and also quite versatile. Of course breed alone is not enough you have to look at everything else too. You really should find a professional who can help you, when you are ready. Start with some riding lessons at a local barn, that will give you a better idea before you make a purchase. Also, most barns offer leasing and share boarding, often a good route to go!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• well we had a pony from when i was 0 to 19. it was a shetland pony and her name was princess. clipping her hooves was pretty much the worst part of it. my parents used to call it "pony wrestling" LOL
    devtdbosombuddy

Answer by devtdbosombuddy at 9:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010