My 8 yr old son and his friends are talking about sex! What do I do?

I was babysitting for some kids in the same class as my son. The school is small so K-2 is in one room. I heard over the monitor somthing and then sex, I thought no you heard wrong so I turned it up and heard it again and the wonderful phrase "doing it". So I went to talk to them about it. They told me that a boy in the class at recess told them he had had sex with a girl. We talked about how that was wrong, and that those things are between a married husband and wife, and that it is not appropriate for children to speak of. I called the pricipal and talked to the mother of said child. When is it time to have the sex talk, I am really just stunned. I guess I was living in a cloud thinking this wouldn't happen!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's time to have the talk now. Not necessarily specifics beyond his understanding. Just answer any questions he may have, and build onto the conversation each year.
    I believe that once they're hearing/talking about it, they need to be informed.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Talk now before someone of whom you don't approve does the talking instead of you.

You did what what you thought was right as a sitter. I would want to know if a sitter heard that from one of mine. After telling the parent, it's time to stop. After that, it's the parents' responsibility. You only have further responsibility if you feel child abuse is involved. If you feel the kids were talking about kids, stop with the parent.

Move on.
    Good luck
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 11:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• It's not "a" talk - it's a lifetime of discussion. Start talking. Ask him if he has any questions. Let him know that if his friends tell him things and if he wonders if they are right, he can always ask you. Always, always tell him the truth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would start talking to him now. Like kaycee14 said it is a lifetime discussion. And don't be in denial that he is going to wait till he is married, you also need to start discussing safe sex practices too.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Not only are they talking about sex, they talk about which girls are "hot", who they want to marry as well as show each other motions and make sounds. I daily have boys at my house both friends and childcare heck next week I have friends of my childcare kids. They talk ,so join in, give them corrct info, don't preach too much about the after marriage thing but do bring that moral into the discussions. My thought is to give them correct information, and safety. I want my boys to feel ok to come to me with whatever they are going to go through and tell me what they need to make their life correct.(I didn't wait and I would honestly be a fool to expect them to) I can also share the correct timing in their relationships so sex doesn't become the only thing they share with their partners. My boys think everytime we shut the bedroom door that is what we are doing LOL If they only knew how family life reduces sex time, LMAO!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I REMEMBER BEING 8 AND PLAYING WITH DOLLS, BUT THINGS HAVE CHANGED, OUR KIDS NOWADAYS KNOW MORE THAN MOST ADULTS, YOU MUST DEFENITELY HAVE THE TALK!

Answer by older at 1:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Yep. It's time. Have his father give at least part of the talk though or another male role model.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2008