Will my baby ever roll over if he doesn't get enough tummy time?

My son is 5 months old and can't stand to be on his tummy for more than a minute at a time. He has great head control and can roll from his back to his sides, but I'm really worried he'll never get the arm strength needed to roll all the way from his back to his belly. When he's on his belly he doesn't push up on his arms at all. It doesn't seem that he has the control and strength in his arms that he should at this point. I'm scared he's going to be really behind in his physical development. What can I do? Has anyone ever had a baby hate tummy time and if so, when did he/she roll, sit up, and crawl?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Although i only have one kid(2) id say your doing good by atleast trying tummy time. try it a few times a day. i cna't remember with my son. He didn't likeit when he couldn't old his head of the floor. Try laying down in fornt of him with objects s maybe he'll be distracted and try reaching for you or toys.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my little girl was the same exact way, she hated being on her tummy, she didn't roll over until she was about 6 1/2 months old...then she could only roll one way...but then she learned to roll both ways a month later...and now she loves it all...be patient, I know that's not easy...but your son will roll when he's good and ready...I agree with the PP try laying down in front of him when you put him on his tummy, it might help...I did that with my daughter and she loved it, it kept her occupied for a while then when she got tired of it I rolled her back...I did this a few times a day and I guess it worked coz she rolls everywhere now {she's almost 8 months} and she's getting ready to crawl...lots of mom's have told me this 'babies will do things in their own time, don't worry' it's helped me a lot...

good luck :)
    Allikats-momma

Answer by Allikats-momma at 9:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Does he ever lay on your chest and look at you? That is tummy time too! If he is at any incline and looking forward that counts! My nefew HATED with a passion tummy time and his peds told my sister NOT to worry about it. It might be uncomfortable for him to be flat on his tummy...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My kids both hated "tummy time" but theyre turned out fine. They still made their rolling over milestone right on time. I dont think you should have any worries about that.
    instantkarma

Answer by instantkarma at 11:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2008