Where will the old cribs go? IT'S NOT A RECALL, IT'S A NEW LAW!!!!

I have a drop side crib. It's been through two babies. I almost always give away everything I'm finished with, rather than selling it, because we cannot donate to charity as much as I'd like and this is one way we can give back.

Am I to now throw this perfectly usable, great condition crib in the garbage can? It's assembled properly, and I still have all the manuals, etc. There are no lose pieces... I look at it every week when I wash the baby's sheets.

What will the effects of this new law be on poor people who would have received donated used cribs?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• *loose
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• GREAT question. people usually don't donate NEW cribs.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I've been wondering that myself. We still have our old crib, all boxed up.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• They will go to crib heaven... not even thrift stores can sell them anymore... and no one wants to get in trouble from our big bad government you know.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• whenever items get recalled you can usually take them to a store and then they send them back to manufacturers, and they probably recycle them or take the parts they can use.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• so, clear this up for me, because i'm not going to reread the other thread or link..is it going to be illegal to use the one you already have..or just the selling/reselling/use in schools/hosp/childcare centers/etc?

i can't imagine everyone dumping a brand new crib. i know some will, but not everyone will. (our baby days are over, so its not an issue for us.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It's not a recall, it's a new law banning sale/distribution of drop side cribs. I'm not sure if it makes the ones already in use illegal, but you can't distribute them.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wondered this same thing. My crib (a dropside) was used by my 1st and is being used by my 2nd now (and last baby). I hate the thought of dumping it in a landfill. I can't take it to a kids consignment shop cuz' they won't take them now. Selling it on Craigslist or at a g-sale probably isn't ok either.
    This sucks!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have a beautiful crib & cradle set that were a gift from my grandmother. They safely went through 2 babies and 4 military moves. They are lovingly packed away in our attic and I FULLY intend to see grandbabies in them someday. So kiss my butt government.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• im just curious .. why can't you donate it ?
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010