I have an ADD highschooler who is flunking everything & gets no help at school. How do I even start addressing this problem?

She's my only child - I don't have "practice" at dealing with ADD or with school problems. She takes meds; but they just shovel on the homework, and that's the thing she can't do!

LindaK162

Asked by LindaK162 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• did these problems JUST start? if they did then perhaps it isnt the ADHD that is the issue at hand. If they did not just start then you need to look back to what you have done in the past that has worked.
    Anonymous

• Your daughter sounds like my son. He is 18 and still at school. He failed in regular high school because of his condition and was labelled a problem child. We took him out of that school and he started going to a program called opportunities for learning. The work is done primarily at home and they go into the school twice a week to take tests and get help. The best thing is, is that the student is only learning one subject at a time. They earn credits for completing a booklet. Average is 50/50 pages per book and they are expected to get 2 books in a week. My sons grades have gone from F's to A's and B's. I wish you luck and I really do understand. Let me know how things go for you. The only reason he hasnt graduated yet, is that he got so far behind in regular high school that it set him back four months.
    Take care.
    daisydays171

Answer by daisydays171 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Does your daughter's school do Intervention Plans for kids that have ADD/ADHD only? Talk to the school counselor and all her teachers to come up with a plan to help her in school. She should not get less homework because she has ADHD. My son has ADHD and I NEVER let him use it as an excuse to not do his work. He is capable but just needs a little more time and someone sitting with him to coax him along. Your daughter CAN do the homework and what is expected of her, she just needs more time, reminders and patience. Allowing a child to think they CAN'T do something, makes them not be able to do those things. You can also take her to a counselor to teach her ways to work with the ADHD. Sylvan Learning Center is another option, they help kids that have ADHD learn how to study and work with the ADHD in order to succeed. But the biggest is to NOT let her think she CAN'T do something.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Is she in normal classes? If she is you should deffinetly try getting her into EBD classes. My husband has ADD and he had to be in those classes. I was also in those but for other reasons. Its a smaller class size, easier workload...
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 12:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Does she have an IEP in place? Is she receiving any accommodations? By the way, one poster above mentions the Sylvan Learning Center; we did a similar program through Huntington Learning Center for my boy ... it was a total waste of time and money so be cautious if you're going to pursue that route.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Good luck honey. I have no experience with this.. I just wanted to wish you the best.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• She's in high school. She has to choose success. She has to want it. She's responsible for her homework, just like any other student. She needs to find tools and ways that will help her be successful in getting it done, and you can help her find them. She may need tutoring, help with organization, a schedule for homework, or more. But she's the one who's got to do it. And yes, she can do it.

I have 2 children, both who were considered "special needs" when they came to me. "Special needs" does not mean "that is what she cannot do". It may mean that she'll have to work harder in order to be successful, but she's still responsible for her own success.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Teens aren't known for being responsible creatures - they often don't do what they should be doing, and they often don't do what is best in the long run. It's our job to sit them down and see to it that they do what needs doing. No armchair parenting, but rather active involvment.
    My oldest son would try to get away with the "I can't do to" stuff. He wasn't given a choice. Now he's a successful college student. He learned how to study, he learned how to take tests, le learned self-discipline, basically he learned how to learn. And when he fell short and didn't do what he was supposed to do, I allowed him to suffer the consequences. If his grades fell, his activities were restricted. He didn't want his activities restricted, so he learned to do what needed to be done.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 2:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Both my kids, 14 and 12 have ADD. We joined CHADD (Children and Adults with ADD) years ago. They have a great magazine with many interesting articles. Currently my 14 yr. old is in social skills group therapy. As a freshman in high school she is doing great!!! It has taken us many years to get there. Get your kid an IEP (Individualize Education Plan) for school and talk with the guidance counselor. There are many resources.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Did you ever get her any help? What was the outcome?
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2011