My 26-month-old son wants us to repeat EVERYTHING that he says....

is this typical for a toddler? And if not, does anyone know how to go about stopping it? He'll just keep repeating the same word/phrase louder and louder and then will scream until you say it. I'll even try saying "Yes, that's right" but he just gets mad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think I would take him in and have his hearing checked.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Sounds like attention seeking behavior. I'd ignore it and he'll soon realize it wont get him anywhere and stop.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Good for him! He just wants to make sure he's getting it right. Try reading, A Pretty Girl Was Alpha Bette, with him. Boys love it, too. The phonics at the end will help his speech progress faster, and you will then be over this phase.

http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 3:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My dd who's the same age has done this ever since she started talking with words we could understand..it drives me insane but at the same time it's good bc I can correct her if she says something wrong when I repeat it back to her..it's hilarious to watch dh try and talk to her..he says bc I'm home with her all day I speak "Kenzie" and he doesn't, so I do think she caught on to this from me repeating stuff to dh when she will tell him something. I'm not sure if it'll stop anytime soon, but good luck.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2010