what are your teens views of college?

My teen looks at a 4 yr college as a given and a two year as a failure. Im glad her goals are high but I hate that she would consider going to a jc for 2 yrs then transferring in to a 4 yr as failing herself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My sister is the same way, she doesn't understand how much that 13k university costs in comparison to a 2-yr college either, and then opting to transfer. But at least I know she will be shooting for a scholarship cause as stands I'm the only one well off enough right now with credit, or even money, to help her get a loan of any sort.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My oldest son believes that he'll fail if he doesn't go to a Division 1 school. When the guidance counselor asked him what his plan B was if he couldn't get into one of those schools, he told her it wasn't an option and it is her job to help get him there. He carries a 3.9 gpa and is ranked #1 in the state and 10th in the Nation for Wrestling right now as a sophmore so his lofty goals keep him focused on a scholarship. Honestly a scholarship is the only way he'd ever get into a college. He's been planning on college since he was in 4th grade though, researching and determining where he wants to go.

My younger son isn't quite so hard core, plans to go to college and wants to go to a 4 year but we really haven't talked much about the other options.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My teen is going to a 2-year school to complete his Gen Ed course before transferring on to a 4-year. It has nothing to do with money but after visiting various colleges, it really was the best option for him. Both my husband and I did it that way (and have done very well for ourselves) so we're perfectly OK with it. I do understand the stereotype that is out there re: community colleges but I can say that even the one I went to has changed (for the better) dramatically in the last 25 years!
    Anonymous

• My son opted for an online batchelor degree because he has custody of his son who is 18 months, He is finding it a great experience and the online community board is great.
    daisydays171

Answer by daisydays171 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son is looking at 2 yr colleges for a major in computer game design because it would be cheaper than a 4 yr program and it would be more hands on to his career choice. There is nothing wrong with going to a 2 yr college. As a matter of fact, the private 4 yr college I am going to in June, recommends going to a 2 yr college for gen eds and to get GPA's up or for those that don't know what they want to major in. When you are spending upwards of $15,000-30,000 a year for a 4 yr degree, it is logical to get as many credits completed at the 2 yr for 1/3 the cost.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Out of my three kids two are already in college. The two year college is off of the plate for us. My third child is applying to colleges now. So for us even though it is tight on our budget we wouldn't send our kids to a two year.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I only view 2-year accredited schools as supplimental to the 4 year university. It is like dying a slow death going there. The majority of the people are not very motivated, and have been going there for way more then 2 years.

Personally I wish that either I had taken college courses at a 2-year in high school to knock out the general ed, and explore career options.

OR

That I would have gone straight to a state school, and worked closely with a counselor there to find out what classes at the local 2-year would transfer to my major. Many times classes that transfer to the school will not count towards your degree, only elective credit. You must work with a counselor! This cannot be emphasized enough. This way, you have the direction you need, but you can really off-set the cost.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Just wanted to add--

Going to a 2-year WITHOUT a good plan to transfer prior to starting will set you up for failure. So in a way she is right. Also, do not listen so closely to the counselors at the 2-year. Only the University will be able to tell you for sure if a class will transfer AND count towards her major.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• have her go for it- scrounge the money if you have to. being a freshman on a university campus is as much a moral and self learning experience as it is academic. You can never go back to that first year!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2010